Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Jager
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you had to get rid of your Harley. But congratulations on the Beemer. I've got an R1200GS (and a K1200RS and GSX-R1000 as well) to go with my Road King. The GS is an extraordinary, exceptional motorcycle. Ugly... yes. But an amazingly gifted bike. I love mine.

Alas, as terrific as it is, it doesn't have that special magic of a Harley. I expect you'll be back one day. Hopefully when that day comes you can keep the BMW AND the Harley!

Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I know the BMW is a terrific motorcycle in many respects. Two of my Safety class instructors owned them, and one even had a motorized, powered windshield. Though I was startled by the technology, I almost fell asleep looking at them.

By contrast, I make a special trip to my garage EVERY NIGHT to say good night to my baby, whether we shared time together on the road or not that day...and I NEVER forget to gaze lovingly at her...

Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I know the BMW is a terrific motorcycle in many respects. Two of my Safety class instructors owned them, and one even had a motorized, powered windshield. Though I was startled by the technology, I almost fell asleep looking at them.

By contrast, I make a special trip to my garage EVERY NIGHT to say good night to my baby, whether we shared time together on the road or not that day...and I NEVER forget to gaze lovingly at her...

dude, you need to get a room.........and one not in the garage...lol

Old 10-01-2010, 08:28 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

It's all the same wind. Don't be a stranger.

From one Swede to another, Ride Safe.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
dude, you need to get a room.........and one not in the garage...lol

Can't argue the point...I'm certifiable.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
francodanco
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's most important is that you are happy, enjoy and ride save!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Steel Billet
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded in my BMW K1200s Bumble Bee in on a 2010 Street Glide. Bmw was crazy fast, heated grips, ABS brakes, head turner bike. I'm happy with the Harley. If I were a rich man I would have kept the BMW and just bought the Harley but I'm not so I made a choice. But I still have a Ducati 848. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Attached Thumbnails Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW-bmw848-10-31-09-007-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-01-2010, 09:29 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:45 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by El Rey
In one of the previous issues of HOG, there was a couple who rode almost around the world on their Ultra. Great story.
Yup - saw that article. Personally however, I wouldn't try it. I can't remember the route taken.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
LOL! and we call Road Glides ugly! LOL!

Umm.... perhaps more functional looking than stylish. But like a Harley in that every part is there for a functional purpose. The thing is, the bike is just such a hoot to ride. It's a much different ride than any Harley, thats one reason it makes a great bike to have along with a Harley.

MCN recently did a road test of three beautiful, top of their class, 150HP sport tourers. The Concours 1400, FJR 1300, and all new Honda VFR 1200. They took a 100HP BMW R1200GS along as a pack mule to carry the cameras etc. Part way through the test all three testers felt the GS was the best sport tourer and was the one each of them wanted to ride back. Can't get any better testimonial that that.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW