Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Åke o Maria Svensson, best of luck on your new motorcycle! The GS is arguably the best motorcycle BMW makes, certainly the most versatile. While I consider it a lateral move it's night and day different than the Harley.
For those that haven't ridden a newer GS they're a really nice ride. It handles like a sport bike. The long suspension makes it great on broken pavement, pot holed roads, and dirt roads. Yet can be loaded down making it a great long distance tourer. Lots of power, especially for its weight. The 2010-2011's have been tuned to make even more mid range power.

This is my 09 GS.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ftanner
Interesting that he would say that. My dad as 12 Moto Guzzis and runs the hell out of them. They've all been very reliable bikes.
That's what I thought. The guy was very italian and spoke broken english. Of course his trouble with Motto Guzzi could be that they shut down from time to time. I think they just got out of financial trouble a couple of years ago. The new Stelvio 1200 looks like its built to compete with the BMW 1200 GS.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I sure wish you good luck and many miles on your new ride, though.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see how you would find the driving position of the BMW comfy on long rides coming from an Ultra. Talk about apple and oranges..Have fun no matter what you ride!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the Bemma.......Oh and if you ride alot at least you can make your appointment to have the valves adjusted now....Arn't they due every 5,000 miles or so?

Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Bye to you...... Hello to harley riders,, happy trails on the trail bike

Old 10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default A lot of Krona!!

Originally Posted by aksv
Hello Moe
There is only a 6% customs fee for import. The rest is a horrible price level based on HD beeing a very exclusive bike in europe. At least here in sweden the sales of new bikes has droped considderably over the last years. The are a lot of new 2008 and 2009 bikes on the showfloors. But only with small price reductions.

Best regards
I spent a lot of time in Stockholm working for Ericcson for a couple years.. stayed at the Hotel Slussen Hilton, and loved all the restaurants down the hill in the village.

The HD dealer over there had nothing but the higher end custom paint Harleys for lots of Kronas!!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMorr99
What is the difference between European style of riding and American style of riding?
Riding position. American is laid back European is leaning forward.

On the BMW the boxer engine has the cylinders were your feet are supposed to be. Honda Goldwing the same thing. The v-twin allows the steched out comfortable riding position. You tell me all the reasons you think those bikes are great but I still wouldnt own one for that simple reason.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:06 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Åke o Maria Svensson, best of luck on your new motorcycle! The GS is arguably the best motorcycle BMW makes, certainly the most versatile. While I consider it a lateral move it's night and day different than the Harley.
For those that haven't ridden a newer GS they're a really nice ride. It handles like a sport bike. The long suspension makes it great on broken pavement, pot holed roads, and dirt roads. Yet can be loaded down making it a great long distance tourer. Lots of power, especially for its weight. The 2010-2011's have been tuned to make even more mid range power.

This is my 09 GS.

LOL! and we call Road Glides ugly! LOL!

Old 10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Default o-m-g

Originally Posted by rocknrod
W - g - a - f?
Too funny

Quick Reply: Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW