Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye Harley-Davidson Hello BMW

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sefferdog
Yep, not hard to tell the reasons a lot of guys on here bought a Harley from the responses.

Well, Åke o Maria Svensson, I hope you have fun riding and are safe riding in Sweden.

If you get a motorcycle and ride a Harley because it is the best ride you ever had, cost does not matter. If you need to justify the brand you purchase because of cost, then a BMW is the way to go.

Originally Posted by Steel Billet
Try going over to a BMW forum to talk about your Harley and see how far you get. Not trying to bash you, just speaking from experience.
True, I come to a Harley forum to talk about Harley models. If I want to talk about other brands, I go to their forum. If you stay on this Harley forum, I bet there is not many that want to talk about BMW models or rides.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
I'm not a Harley snob, I can appreciate lots of other motorcycles.. I even own one... and I love it almost as much as I love my HD.

But man,... I gotta say, I've been around bikers all my life, riding since I was 23, and I'm 60 now and the biggest bunch of nose in the air snobs I ever met were Beemer riders. I've actually got one Beemer rider who is the exception to that.

they're worse than Goldwingers.

Just my experienced opinion. I could be wrong. YMMV
Valkerie, now that's a great bike built by Honda. Same motor as the Wing, just a different attitude.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
I'm not a Harley snob, I can appreciate lots of other motorcycles.. I even own one... and I love it almost as much as I love my HD.

But man,... I gotta say, I've been around bikers all my life, riding since I was 23, and I'm 60 now and the biggest bunch of nose in the air snobs I ever met were Beemer riders. I've actually got one Beemer rider who is the exception to that.

they're worse than Goldwingers.

Just my experienced opinion. I could be wrong. YMMV

You're probably correct but many BMW riders, such as the original poster and myself, like and appreciate Harleys.

Still there are quite a few BMW riders that are green, save the planet, noise is polution too, never drink and ride, etc. people. Many also like to ride briskly and can't understand the attraction of riding in a slow formation which HD and Gold Wing riders sometimes do.
I happen to be pretty conservative and am at odds with many of those critics. Believe me, I *do* do my part in promoting Harleys as a great alternative, and that many HD riders are the best hearted, good people you'll ever meet.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Enjoy your new ride. Heck of a price difference.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:18 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aksv
It's a bit sad to leave the Harley community, but we have now traded in our belowed Ultra ElectraGlide to a brand new BMW R1200GS 2011.
Me and my wife really loved the Harley, but after 60.000km in four years we felt that we wanted to trade it to a newer one. One big reason was to get ABS brakes for security reasons. But the trading cost here in Sweden to a new 2009 FLHTCUI is almost 16.000 USD, and we can't really justifie that cost for 4 years of riding.
So instead, for 3.700 USD we left the Ultra and rode home on our new BMW instead. It's a completely different bike, but the pillion comfort is not far from the Ultra.
We are confident that we, maybee five years from now, will go back to an Ultra (hopefully HD Europe will adjust the crazy prices) , but until then.

Thank's to you all for all interesting reading, and communication on this forum.

Åke o Maria Svensson
Sweden
Relocate to the States where you can afford to have a barn full of bikes...Anyway, do what you need to survive!!

Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 AM
jerrywp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years I've have owned two Harleys FLSTN & FLHRSEI and two Beemers R1100RT and K1200LT, plus many Hondas and even a Norton Commando. The Road King was the most comfortable and fun. Just sold the K1200LT and ordered a 2011 FLHRC in Cool Blue Pearl. Looking forward to many years on this RK. Jerry

Old 10-03-2010, 12:56 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just glad you're still riding and you could sure do a lot worse than a Beemer. Smooth reliable bikes. Costly to fix if they do break though. Fortunately that doesn't happen much. Just like the Victory bikes made by Polaris over hear. Awesome machines with very low maintenance costs.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:03 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking for myself, I would think you'd be welcome here anytime. I think if you take lots of pictures on your rides like a lot of folks do, they'd be welcome as well. Pictures of our ride(s) in Sweden (or whereever) would be way cool. My brother has a GS, and he loves it. I got to ride it (once, heh) and I was impressed. Silky smooth, plenty of power. Quiet. All the things most (stock engine) Harleys aren't. Still wouldn't trade mine for anything else though. Enjoy the ride.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Razorback
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats, nice bike. I'd love to own one and do some "adventure touring". Sadly I'd have to buy 2 since my wife rides. Most likely it would be a V-Strom or a KLR650.