Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official: California has adopted a new law regarding motorcycle sound emissions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default It's official: California has adopted a new law regarding motorcycle sound emissions

From an e-mail I received from the AMA today:

On Sept. 28, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law Senate Bill 435, sponsored by Sen. Fran Pavey (D-Agoura Hills). While motorcycle manufacturers have been complying with the federal law since it went into effect in 1983, this new law now makes it a state crime to operate any motorcycle registered in the state that was built on or after Jan. 1, 2013 that doesn't have a federal Environmental Protection Agency exhaust system sound emissions label.
In addition, the law requires aftermarket exhaust systems made on or after Jan. 1, 2013 to display the EPA sound emissions label, and therefore applies to individuals who seek to replace the exhaust system on affected streetbikes.
To view the legislation, see http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_bill_20100928_chaptered.html.
Violators will face fines of up to $100 for a first offense and up to $250 for subsequent offenses. Judges however will have the discretion to dismiss the fine for first-time offenders if the violation is corrected.
Also, a violation will be considered a secondary offense, meaning a police officer can't stop a motorcyclist solely because the officer believes the motorcyclist is breaking the sound emissions label law.
This bill, while still unfairly targeting only motorcycle owners, is much improved from the version that was introduced in the 2009 legislative session. That version would have required biannual emissions testing for every model year 2000 and newer motorcycle. Thanks are due to every rider who took the time to contact their representatives regarding this bill.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crappy government, high gas and housing prices and now this. Makes CA even less appealing. You can rest assured, since they have there foot in the door, the next step will be a primary offense, just like cell phone use here in WA. But I'm guessing H-D's will be water cooled by then anyways......

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad I live in the Republic of Texas.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Denver has a similar law. Personally, I think it's discrimination because law makers aren't going after other loud vehicles like they are motorcycles.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Aaaaah-nold better watch it . . . We'll ship his fat little ***
back to Austria, in a cardboard box !!

I'm sure they'll do just as good of job as they do enforcing cell ph use, texting & all the rest.

2 wks ago, I drove next to a CHP for about 2 miles while he chatted on his cell ph (Police business I'm sure) I'm sure it was his GF or ????

Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

With all the problems this state has - this is what they waste their time with.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:57 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

america the communist country

Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

watch the sales of 11 & 12's to take off and the price for used late models up to 2012 will be higher...

I talked to Vance and Hines at Street Vibrations and they are ready for the new Ca law... He told me the laws over seas are tougher and they sell lots of pipes there - they have the legal set ups

Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
I talked to Vance and Hines at Street Vibrations and they are ready for the new Ca law... He told me the laws over seas are tougher and they sell lots of pipes there - they have the legal set ups
That's a good point, to have bikes in Holland is tough from what I've read.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:37 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
watch the sales of 11 & 12's to take off and the price for used late models up to 2012 will be higher...
I doubt it, people won't care that much. It's like when the new diesel emissions regulations took effect in 2007. Diesel trucks made in 2006 were indeed better, but they hardly held their value any better if at all. I know I got my '06 built 2007 model year brand new for invoice minus rebates. Had to give it away too when I sold it. People looking at it didn't care much what year or what emissions crap it had...

Quick Reply: It's official: California has adopted a new law regarding motorcycle sound emissions