Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Antonio area ride suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Antonio area ride suggestions

So, me and wifey are heading to San Antonio for some well deserved alone time. I am just returning from Iraq for the 6th time and this will be our 14 year anniversary. We are planning on leaving Sunday November 14th and driving to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Stopping for the night, then spending Monday riding around. Then on Tuesday we will make the rest of the trip on into San Antonio. We will stay in the area til the 26th and head back home. We will be trailering the bike for the simple fact that during that time of year, Tennessee can get nasty quick and I dont want to be trying to ride home in the cold AND rain/sleet. If it was warmer we would ride the entire way.

I was wondering what are the recommended places to see or trails to take while we are there. Any suggestions for hotels/B&B/ETC that are biker friendly or places to avoid, will be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations for a place to eat on Turkey Day are also welcome.
Thanks and I look forward to your input.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Head to Bandera, bunk there then head West into the Hill Country. Anywhere west of Bandera and South of IH -10 you won't be wrong. Make sure you ride the Twisted Sisters, FM 335, 336 & 337. Enjoy......

Old 09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where you really want to go is the hill country, mainly the Bandera, Texas area. The rides are great and I don't know of any place in the area that is not biker friendly (motorcycles are a big part of the customer base throughout the summer).

I have never stayed there, but I have been by a place called Koyote Ranch (www.koyoteranch.com) that looks like a cool place to stay. There is also a little motorcycle only hotel in Leaky, Texas called D'Rose Inn (www.droseinn.com). Nothing fancy, but the atmosphere is nice.

You can also take a ride to Luckenbach, Texas. A lot of bikers visit this location for good music and cold drinks.

Ride safe.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
WolfDog
Road Master

Man, also check out Fredricksburg TX, it's bed & breakfast heaven. Look on google, guesthause schmit...
Gateway to B&Bs in the area. Enjoy you well deserved R&R.

Later.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

twisted sisters for sure...gruene hall in gruene (san marcos/new braunsfels), b b q in lockhart and llano, bandera, fredericksburg, and luckenback. thanks for your service too....

Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on Bandera Texas, 335, 336 and 337 (three twisted sisters)

Stayed in the honey moon suite last weekend at Koyote Ranch.

Spend a night or 2 in each of the towns mentioned so far, you won't be dissapointed.

And a big thanks for what you do.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for your service. it is greatly appreciated!!

all of these are good suggestions. check out the Southwest Regional section of the forums.... there is a very active San Antonio riders group.

enjoy your time - you earned it!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM
tbrown2
Cruiser

Hwy 16 between Kerrville and Bandera is also an awesome ride. 39 into Kerrville from Leakey is picture perfect with lots of B&B's and some great twisties. 1431 from Marble Falls into Cedar Park is a great set of twisties also. The Willow City Loop is also a great day. The Hill Country has some of the best roads and most of all of the stops are biker friendly.
Thanks for your service, you deserve the downtime.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 09ultraclassicrider
So, me and wifey are heading to San Antonio for some well deserved alone time. I am just returning from Iraq for the 6th time and this will be our 14 year anniversary. We are planning on leaving Sunday November 14th and driving to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Stopping for the night, then spending Monday riding around. Then on Tuesday we will make the rest of the trip on into San Antonio. We will stay in the area til the 26th and head back home. We will be trailering the bike for the simple fact that during that time of year, Tennessee can get nasty quick and I dont want to be trying to ride home in the cold AND rain/sleet. If it was warmer we would ride the entire way.

I was wondering what are the recommended places to see or trails to take while we are there. Any suggestions for hotels/B&B/ETC that are biker friendly or places to avoid, will be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations for a place to eat on Turkey Day are also welcome.
Thanks and I look forward to your input.

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE! You'll want to check out the "three sisters," Hwy 16 between Fredricksburg and Austin, and check out www.ridetexas.com for some great ride suggestions! Also, the www.hog.com website has some good rides posted from many who have scoped out the roads before.

You'll have a great time!!! If you get enough time and really want to check out some good riding, have them point you in the direction of Big Bend. That'll really get your adrenaline going....

Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser

Thanks so far to all the replies. It is greatly appreciated. Wifey has been all over the internet looking for places to stay and things to see or do. This gives us some great starting points. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming.

Quick Reply: San Antonio area ride suggestions