Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try this Bosch headlamp???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone try this Bosch headlamp???

Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and what the results were. Seems like a pretty good deal but if it doesn't make a difference in lighting then it is pointless.

Bosch 7" headlamp

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've heard and read , Candlepower doesn't usually handle junk hardware of any sort.
Generally the lense optics have a better pattern than reflector optics (clear glass)do.
Lense optics just aren't "cool" anymore as clear glass looks neater to most people.
A better deal (maybe) would be a Hella E-Code for around $50.00 plus bulb or the Cibie E-Code which has one of the best beam patterns of any headlamps.
I run the Cibie with an Osram 70/65 H4 bulb , it ran just about $100.00 from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
An impressive headlamp and a very good deal for this kind of performance.
I imagine the Candlepower setup would be an upgrade from stock for sure , the price is right anyway.
Mick

Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
From what I've heard and read , Candlepower doesn't usually handle junk hardware of any sort.
Generally the lense optics have a better pattern than reflector optics (clear glass)do.
Lense optics just aren't "cool" anymore as clear glass looks neater to most people.
A better deal (maybe) would be a Hella E-Code for around $50.00 plus bulb or the Cibie E-Code which has one of the best beam patterns of any headlamps.
I run the Cibie with an Osram 70/65 H4 bulb , it ran just about $100.00 from http://www.danielsternlighting.com/
An impressive headlamp and a very good deal for this kind of performance.
I imagine the Candlepower setup would be an upgrade from stock for sure , the price is right anyway.
Mick

Yeah I was looking at the Hella and came across this. Figured for the price it can't be beat if it gives a better beam pattern. Trying to figure out if it is e-spec or not.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:32 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i am using the hella e-code headlight, and it works far better than the stock plastic housed headlight. the light is focussed where we really need it rather than being so spread out like the d.o.t. compliant headlights. i'm very happy with the performance of the hella lamp. the hella is the german company, whereas the cibie is the french manufacturer. susquehanna motorsports has the best price i've found on them. if i remember right, it was 38 bucks for the headlamp housing, and yes, the reflector is glass rather than the cheezy gray plastic chrome plated harley reflector. i actually like the way my hella looks on my bike even when it's turned off. crisp and clear, clean.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

okay guys, i know, a double post. one thing you need to know, is to get the one that's made for germany or france. the brits drive on the wrong side of the road and the light will be placed to the wrong side of the road if you get the wrong headlamp. clarify this when you order it.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:15 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe this may shed some "light" on the SAE question.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html
Looks like the specs are different enough that E-Code won't make the SAE spec and visa versa .
I can tell you the E-Code won't bother oncoming traffic as bad for sure.
The light focus is really that different between the two specs.
Mick

Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
okay guys, i know, a double post. one thing you need to know, is to get the one that's made for germany or france. the brits drive on the wrong side of the road and the light will be placed to the wrong side of the road if you get the wrong headlamp. clarify this when you order it.
True, but we Brits like these brands of headlights as well! I used a Hella in an earlier Harley and have used Bosch in my various BMWs. The only difficulty is deciding if one of them is slightly better than the others.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:45 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Mick is right. I used Hella lamps in cars years ago before they were legal in the US. The light pattern is what makes them so great. You can see the sharp line of the sculpted beam pattern on the road in front of you. The ones for right lane driving have a "notch" on the left side of the light pattern to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. When I bought the lights I got 55/100 watt H-4 bulbs. The seller said at the time that despite the 100w hi beams I would be more impressed with the low beams. He was right. It's all about the lens optics. BTW don't waste your money on 100w hi beams. The 70/65s are plenty and probably don't require a relay.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
Mick is right. I used Hella lamps in cars years ago before they were legal in the US. The light pattern is what makes them so great. You can see the sharp line of the sculpted beam pattern on the road in front of you. The ones for right lane driving have a "notch" on the left side of the light pattern to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. When I bought the lights I got 55/100 watt H-4 bulbs. The seller said at the time that despite the 100w hi beams I would be more impressed with the low beams. He was right. It's all about the lens optics. BTW don't waste your money on 100w hi beams. The 70/65s are plenty and probably don't require a relay.
THey don't "require" a relay,but without one the bulb isn't operating at full brightness check this link www.easternbeaver.com

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 AM
jstride
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garemlin,

Did you ever pick up one of the Bosch Headlamps? If so, any issues/how do you like it?

Quick Reply: Anyone try this Bosch headlamp???