Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:39 AM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
We are offering the free hotel stay until the end of February, however Country Inn & Suites offers a special Fuel Moto group rate with a 20% discount
Thanks Jamie that sounds great.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Jamie, could you address the issue concerning the strength of stock cylinders ?

S&S and others contend that the stock units are not strong enough to be bored to achieve 107 inches. The results can be overheating of the pistons as well as outright failure of the cylinders - breaking.

Since the top motor mount anchors the running gear of the bike, lateral stresses are transferred to the cylinders during use. If the cylinder walls are too thin, they can flex or even break. This is what I have been told by the engineers.

I think I can anticipate your response, but I would like to hear what you have to say on this.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just finished assembling my FM 107 with 777 cams, SE Heavy Breather, Bassani RoadRage 2 into 1, and SE race tuner. Heads have a "street" port and polish from Big Boyz Head Porting, 83 cc combustion chambers.

Its on a 08 Road Glide. Just hit 100 miles last night and did the first oil/filter change.

Sorry, I am old school, I just cant beat on this thing untill I get about 800 miles and another oil/filter change. Then its on to the dyno for tuning, hopefully about two weeks.

Feels strong, sounds fantastic!

I will post #s after the dyno tune.

Doug

PS: I had built this motor to a 103 about 2 years ago with Wood 6-6 cams. It did 101hp/110 tq after dyno tune. That is the map I am running right now for break-in.
Plugs look great, no surging or poping.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:14 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by leafman60
Jamie, could you address the issue concerning the strength of stock cylinders ?

S&S and others contend that the stock units are not strong enough to be bored to achieve 107 inches. The results can be overheating of the pistons as well as outright failure of the cylinders - breaking.

Since the top motor mount anchors the running gear of the bike, lateral stresses are transferred to the cylinders during use. If the cylinder walls are too thin, they can flex or even break. This is what I have been told by the engineers.

I think I can anticipate your response, but I would like to hear what you have to say on this.
There is no "issue" to address. While these other companies are certainly entitled to their opinion and several of them make good products, these claims are nothing more than marketing tactics. We are not the first or the last to bore stock cylinders to 107, we have sold many, many 107 kits and we will let the results speak for themselves rather than what a competitor says will or will not happen so they can sell you their cylinders. Kinda like going to a Ford dealer and asking them about a Chevy.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 11-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not heard of even one cylinder failure on a bored 107.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

What is the thickness of the stock cylinder wall after boring to the 107 inch spec ?

So, you are saying that S&S is not telling the truth but only putting out a story to help sell their kits ?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

What is the thickness of the stock cylinder wall after boring to the 107 inch spec ?

So, you are saying that S&S is not telling the truth but only putting out a story to help sell their kits ?
I doubt anyone is calling anyone a liar. If someone is saying that the stock cylinders cant be bored to a 107", they need to provide the proof.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I am sure S&S makes a fine kit, however referring specifically to skirt thickness there is only a .0105 difference between the S&S 106 and the Fuel Moto 107. There have been absolutely no issues with our cylinders whatsoever (or any other 107 bored cylinders that I have ever seen for that matter) these claims have been based on speculation and "theory" by cylinder manufacturers instead of supportive data or specific examples, We have hundreds of users from this forum alone with our 107 kit and we are building motors everyday, where are all of these broken cylinders they speak of? If you would like to debate the quality of our kit I would recommend starting with specific examples and supportive data, you are also welcome to contact me at 877-729-4754 and I would be happy to go over everything with you

Last edited by fuelmoto; 11-16-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
leafman60
Road Captain

S&S says the problem is with the metal used in the stock cylinders. They claim it is not strong enough to be bored that thin and that eventually they will likely break. Im just telling you what they say.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master

S&S says the problem is with the metal used in the stock cylinders. They claim it is not strong enough to be bored that thin and that eventually they will likely break. Im just telling you what they say.
So, you are claiming you heard that from S&S personally. Why didnt you ask them for more info? Like posted above, there is nothing wrong with the 107 jugs. You cant point to even one documented failure. Let it go unless you got proof.
I would bet there are over double the 107 kits ot there, than there are S&S 106.

Last edited by Indianspringsaz; 11-16-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto