Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 12:00 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Satori
Wow, that'll give an electra glide a K1600 power to weight ratio.
Kinda nice have 150lbs ft/tq from 1500 -5500rpm Talk about power.

The 107 is enough for me.. for now, anyway.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:57 PM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How to check for a failed woods lifter? I think mine are the cause of a noise I've had since the spring. My Indy is pointing toward them also. My Indy says it valve chatter, only during load on the engine.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
How to check for a failed woods lifter? I think mine are the cause of a noise I've had since the spring. My Indy is pointing toward them also. My Indy says it valve chatter, only during load on the engine.
They bleed down, I have the same problem - hellish rattle on cold startup for about 4 seconds. Fuel Moto says normal.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:13 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How many miles do you have on the build, and what kind of Oil are you running.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:40 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Keithhu
They bleed down, I have the same problem - hellish rattle on cold startup for about 4 seconds. Fuel Moto says normal.
Ur talking about the lifters pumping up, normal. I'm talking how to check for lifter failure.

I'm on Dino but I was using redline before ripping the cylinder down. I've got only 4,500 miles on the build. She broke on a long distance ride and I've been trouble shooting ever since.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:47 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ur talking about the lifters pumping up, normal. I'm talking how to check for lifter failure.

I'm on Dino but I was using redline before ripping the cylinder down. I've got only 4,500 miles on the build. She broke on a long distance ride and I've been trouble shooting ever since.
Try some Mobile 1 full synthetic.
20w50.

Give your motor a little time to break in. And for parts to mate with each other.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:45 AM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cardboard
Try some Mobile 1 full synthetic.
20w50.

Give your motor a little time to break in. And for parts to mate with each other.
My issue started after break in, I was using synthetic when it all started. I've since had the rear cylinder torn down, and haven't put enough miles yet. I've had my bike looked at by Indy, and an engine builder. I'm checking what I can before bringing it back in to the Indy. I'm hoping Jamie would read my question and chime in. I'm looking to rule out lifter failure.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

My issue started after break in, I was using synthetic when it all started. I've since had the rear cylinder torn down, and haven't put enough miles yet. I've had my bike looked at by Indy, and an engine builder. I'm checking what I can before bringing it back in to the Indy. I'm hoping Jamie would read my question and chime in. I'm looking to rule out lifter failure.
If you suspect the lifters it's easy enough to change them out. Just a 60 dollar gasket kit and a few hours.

Try some of those Comp Cams 850-1 lifters. They work well and are only like 50 bucks for 4. You know, just to see...
If the problem goes away, you could return the woods lifters for a new set or try something different. Or just leave the 850's in there since many are using them without issue.

Good luck.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:52 AM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lp
If you suspect the lifters it's easy enough to change them out. Just a 60 dollar gasket kit and a few hours.

Try some of those Comp Cams 850-1 lifters. They work well and are only like 50 bucks for 4. You know, just to see...
If the problem goes away, you could return the woods lifters for a new set or try something different. Or just leave the 850's in there since many are using them without issue.

Good luck.
I was going to go with the 850's or the fueling but I've read that woods will honor the warranty if they are in fact bad but I can't find any info on how to check for failed lifters.

I think I have enough gaskets to replace those removed during the swap. I don't have to go in the cam chest, just went in there. I can break the pushrods down and then pull them from the top.

Last edited by stic2it; 11-07-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:19 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I was going to go with the 850's or the fueling but I've read that woods will honor the warranty if they are in fact bad but I can't find any info on how to check for failed lifters.

I think I have enough gaskets to replace those removed during the swap. I don't have to go in the cam chest, just went in there. I can break the pushrods down and then pull them from the top.
If a lifter fails internally in most cases it will collapse and cause loud ticking continually. If the sound comes and goes it can be a number of things including but not limited to pushrod adjustment, oil pressure, dirt & debris in the lifter, using the wrong oil filter, and other variables.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto