Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Just take it easy and ride it. Make a lot of stops and let it cool down. Then ride the interstate.
It needs a lot of miles to get everything seated.

Don't know how far they told you to go on breakin before you change your oil.
Don't want to get a Oil thread started. But I go to Walmart and get 20w50 Synthetic mobile one.

You are doing everything right man. Just relax and enjoy your bike.
Try to not hammer it for a while.
For me break in is a very big thing. You got a lot of money invested in the bike.
I'd hate to not break it in and something go wrong.

Just enjoy the ride. I know its hard as Homemade Hell to not twist the throttle.
Doing so will really make your adrenline flow.
1000 miles on the oil in there now. Then I can change to whatever I've been running. That will be about 4 more rides for me.

I have run Mobil One 20/50W from Wally World at $26 bucks a 5 qt jug since new. On both my 100K Valkyrie and my EGC. (I run this stuff in my lawn mower. )

I'm not worrying gas mileage at all, but it is definitely difficult to stay off the throttle.

But good point, it's all just getting seated.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from putting 2400 miles on in Arizona, California, and Nevada. The FM 107 ran awesome and like all have said , more than enough power to do what I need. I just love the power. Have fun with your ride.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:57 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
1000 miles on the oil in there now. Then I can change to whatever I've been running. That will be about 4 more rides for me.

I have run Mobil One 20/50W from Wally World at $26 bucks a 5 qt jug since new. On both my 100K Valkyrie and my EGC. (I run this stuff in my lawn mower. )

I'm not worrying gas mileage at all, but it is definitely difficult to stay off the throttle.

But good point, it's all just getting seated.
You realize that with the 107 and the head work your bike should be sucking air threw the throttle body. you might be able to hear a popping.
And your motor will be no where near as quite as the stock bike is.

Are you running Synthetic motor Oil or Dino ?

I want to get out and ride but its suppose to rain for 7 days on and off.
Everything I got is dirty from the rain now.

Enjoy your ride dude.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:14 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
You realize that with the 107 and the head work your bike should be sucking air threw the throttle body. you might be able to hear a popping.
And your motor will be no where near as quite as the stock bike is.

Are you running Synthetic motor Oil or Dino ?

I want to get out and ride but its suppose to rain for 7 days on and off.
Everything I got is dirty from the rain now.

Enjoy your ride dude.
Yeah, I don't expect it to be as quiet, nor do I want it to be. I just hear this "tappet" sounding sound, that is very much metal-on-metal sounding. Could just be the stiffer valve springs and the seating or something.

I believe the break-in oil in the bike now is dino, but I'll go to M1 syn as soon as I finish the break in.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 AM
REPO1
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine was pretty noisy on the top end when I first started it. After about 10 mins of run time, it quieted right down. I would almost say it is as quiet as it was stock. BUT, i have not ridden it yet, only idling in the shop. Hope to possibly get it on the road this weekend or next week.

Like previously mentioned possibly you are hearing noise through the intake? Maybe consider sticking your football air filter cover on, just for a quick ride to see if the sound changes? That is currently what I have on top of my FM stage 1 intake.

With that, my friend just got a 120" Screamin Eagle kit put in his bike and says he has lots of to end noise as well.

Could you post a few pictures from different angles of that FM chrome air filter cover? I have been considering it........

Old 04-07-2015, 10:48 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I really want to do a big bore kit on my twin cam 88ci, something like the 98ci kit. How feasible would a 100-110 hp be? I dont want to go too radical, trying keep it smooth and streetable. what do you guys think?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 AM
BrianSF-GA
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

It was low 30s here this morning. So I spent the early afternoon rebuilding my front master brake cylinder and replacing the switch. Also installed new 02 cylinders, the old ones sure did look like they needed replacing.

I'm still so new to this engine. I've got less than 100 miles on it. It runs so strong it is difficult to put into words without using goofy analogy. Remarkable smooth power. I haven't wacked the throttle hard to see how quickly it will spin up, but just grab a handful of throttle and boom your at some different level of speed.

The top end, is noisy, and this is especially noticeable for me at low speed, like when I'm pulling out of my driveway. I distinctly hear a lifter(?) or something doing it's tap-tap-tap thing, and am hoping this is normal. Anyone confirm this? This is with the level B heads. It seems to run fine and it may quiet down as the bike warms up. I've been giving it plenty of idle time before taking off, but it's been cold here in New England and I'm wondering if the temps have something to do with this. I'll give Jaime a call in the morning and ask his opinion too.

I haven't gotten close to a full day in the saddle yet, but Friday has sunshine and temps in the high 50's forcasted. So that wll be the day. So bike is just so friggin' impressive now. I took it to my Indie today to get an inspection sticker and these guys were just floored to see the dyno sheet, and when I started it up, they were like "whoa" this is the real deal.

Big chit eating grin!

Steve
Steve ... like I have, you will notice the 777's cause more valve train noise than other cams and the same can be said for the 555's. My understanding the noise is caused by the more aggressive opening ramps that are inherent in Wood's cams.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, I don't expect it to be as quiet, nor do I want it to be. I just hear this "tappet" sounding sound, that is very much metal-on-metal sounding. Could just be the stiffer valve springs and the seating or something.

I believe the break-in oil in the bike now is dino, but I'll go to M1 syn as soon as I finish the break in.
Posted this on another forum a few days ago:

Changed this morning to LiquiMoly 10-60w since I'm heading to Laughlin week after next and I assume the temps are going to be a little warmer than CO. I purchased the oil 2 month ago but wanted to get at least 2K miles out of the HD 20-50w before the swap.

After I started the bike pressure came up and noise went down. I have 3,607 miles since my FM 98" build with TW555 cams and LevelB heads so I assumed some of the engine noise was a by product of the build. I really love the way is runs so smooth and the bike feels fiesty'r now, more responsive and did I say smooth. Checked the head temp with a digital gun when I got off after my 70 mile trip and the hottest spot was the rear exhaust port area on the throttle side of the motor. It was 285 and dropping about a degree a second with the Wards fan running.

I think I need to keep this oil stocked up for the Ironhead as well. Happy user...

Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by SpaceReapersNOLA
I really want to do a big bore kit on my twin cam 88ci, something like the 98ci kit. How feasible would a 100-110 hp be? I dont want to go too radical, trying keep it smooth and streetable. what do you guys think?
That's just what I did. FM 98" and some more, dyno tuned and the results were 104/118 to the wheels when all is said and done. Very streetable and smooth.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:32 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowby
Posted this on another forum a few days ago:

Changed this morning to LiquiMoly 10-60w since I'm heading to Laughlin week after next and I assume the temps are going to be a little warmer than CO. I purchased the oil 2 month ago but wanted to get at least 2K miles out of the HD 20-50w before the swap.

After I started the bike pressure came up and noise went down. I have 3,607 miles since my FM 98" build with TW555 cams and LevelB heads so I assumed some of the engine noise was a by product of the build. I really love the way is runs so smooth and the bike feels fiesty'r now, more responsive and did I say smooth. Checked the head temp with a digital gun when I got off after my 70 mile trip and the hottest spot was the rear exhaust port area on the throttle side of the motor. It was 285 and dropping about a degree a second with the Wards fan running.

I think I need to keep this oil stocked up for the Ironhead as well. Happy user...
That LiquidMoly 10w60 is good stuff! About the same results with it here too.

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto