Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Add your two cents to the bank to help redefine a great product.

Get caught up with recent posts Here

Get all the info, check out:Previous Threads
Print Wikipost

107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 03:06 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
I am starting to realize this and coming to terms with it.
I've watched people do things to their bikes and not look on down the road toward the end.
Everything they did, is to be redone. Because they did things backwards or didn't like what suggestions were being made.
And I understand its their choice.

I know I have made a lot of suggestions and pissed a lot of people off tryin to offer my suggestions.

And I know there are a lot of new folks doing things to their bikes and they are going to make changes.
And I've seen people take their bikes to the Indy shop and the dealer.

And if they had of just understood what they know now, then. It could of saved them a Pain in the Butt and some money.

But even if you do things in Steps. Like the very 1st thing to do to a Bike is a Tuner. Then a Cam. Then Pipes and mufflers.
Then do a build that was a package and not something thrown together.
The whole package would of worked together.

And I know it cost a lot of money to do all the things. And a lot of it.

But Harley knows this and banks on it.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cardboard, that IS a sweet looking ride, I am starting to warm up to the 2-into-1 looks and I have always been onboard with the benefits.

We didn't talk much about the various different pipes as I was (at the time) a bit overwhelmed that doing the heads is not only the cost of the heads, but also the cost of a better exhaust system. But, the more I think about it, the more I am warming up to it all. I'm no youngster anymore and I'm retired and not financially set to buy into buying a new (or even used) HD Limited or other newer HD and this point in my life, however, for whatever riding years I have left I want to really nice ride. AND I do appreciate all of the advice I've heard out here and am seriously leaning toward going the "full-monte" and doing the heads/2-into-1 etc.. I might be too poor to want to drop $30K on a new harley, but I'm not too poor to put some decent money into the ride I already own and which is in very nice condition and all ergo'd up the way I like it (bars/seat/bling etc).

I've been all over FuelMotos site looking at pipes, and really liked their "featured" Jackpot 2-into-1 but the problem is they are out of stock.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/ex...-2-into-1.html

I can't even find the Supertrapp Super Meg you mentioned. So I really need to talk to the boys in Little Chute again regarding my exhaust needs, the cost and whats available. I suppose I could even reschedule if I had to. I noticed they had a deal on a V&H 2-into-1 Pro Pipe. I wonder what this pipe does, I noticed they had an optional quiet baffle for it too.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/harley/ex...-18001478.html

I am going to have a serious talk with Jaime tomorrow and get a handle on to total costs and options open regarding going the "full-monte", heads/pipes etc. I know I prolly don't need that kind of "GO-POWER" for the typical riding style I have.. but I'm just **** enough to want it anyway. I'm sure you guys know what I mean, as you pretty much keep telling me that.

Let me ask another question that is VERY important to me. How "streetable" are these 107s with the big bore, the heads and the 2-into-1 etc? I really don't want to get into a bike that goes like hell, but is way too loud to the point where it annoys other riders and gives me a headache, and/or a bike that is high maintenance. Or major hot (I do have a jagg deluxe oil cooler already) or "shake my teeth out" vibration. I know I'll get a little more of all of that, but I think you know what I mean. Are the bikes rideable for a long day in the saddle? (I'm guessing this will be something I get, head work or no headwork?)

In other words I'd love the power, pull and performance, but I really need a bike that is reliable, decent to ride all day long and well behaved when not getting pushed hard. Can you guys with the with the big bores, heads/pipes and big numbers comment on that please?

Thanks for all the imput so far. All aprreciated.
The fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipes are capable of putting out big numbers without having to go to a 2 into 1. The vance and hines power pipe is also good for supporting130 hp. I have the fuel moto xxx pipe on my 124 making 146 hp and its almost to quiet with crusher mellow mufflers.The nice thing is you can run 2 mufflers to quiet the exhaust down for touring. I have done the 2-1 D&D zilla on my 120r and was leaving my ears ringing on trips.

When building a Harley engine do it right the first time. The most important part is to chose a reputable company(fuel moto ,Tman performance,hillside) and follow the recipe for power then find someone who knows how to tune.

Last edited by sporacer; 02-02-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:02 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Its hard for me to stop and think back, on a 2007 motorcycle that Old hippie has.
The fuelmoto 2in1in2 header pipe is not gonna WORK. the 07 didn't have the crossover pipe to go under the frame like on the newer bikes.
And I really don't like the crossover pipe under the frame.

That is another reason they are talking a 2in1 to him.
And a 2in1 pipe will put out better numbers than a 2in1in2, Plus its easier to tune.
The Supertrapp has disc you can move to change where the power band is.

In in reality if you are not hung up on the 2in1in2 pipe the 2in1 pipe has a much cleaner look.

I have ran 2in1 pipes for years. I just wanted a muffler that was quieter.
and I needed both size bungs.

And when working on the bike. A 2in1 is a lot easier to work with.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:20 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Just adding some info regarding performance and dyno numbers based on what we see here on average with our 107 builds. Note this can/will vary based on each build, conditions, correction factor, and anything relative to change, as well as the specific sum of parts. Exhaust system and EFI tune will affect numbers HUGELY, they can make or break a build. An exhaust that works great on a stock bike will not necessarily work on a 115Hp build. These builds are generally not true dual friendly and they do not like large open mufflers.

Again remember, anything that is relative and subject to change can/will affect performance numbers. Our final dyno runs are done in 6th gear which is a 1:1 ratio, at a specific engine temp, in a well designed/developed dyno cell, with the correct amount of exchange air/exhaust extraction, as well as the right amount of airflow moving across the bike. The tune is also closely monitored for knock retard, IAT, etc..

2007 Touring: 107 w/ stock heads: average 95Hp/110Tq. With headwork and other supportive mods 110Hp/120Tq. The 07 bike has a smaller 46mm throttle than 08-later models, the stock head pipe is also more restrictive then the 09-later design. The 08-earlier head pipe becomes limiting foctor at around 100 Hp, it really affects output near and above that point and mufflers play into that that equation as well. The 07 FLH also has small 3.91gm injectors which support in the mid 90's for Hp, the 46mm TB is also a limiting factor. If you want to make more than mid 90's for HP on a 07 FLH it will require head work and more cam. It will also require an exhaust swap, throttle body & injectors. Also note 07-08 bikes have taller gearing than the 09-later.

2008 Touring: 107 w/stock heads: average 100Hp/115Tq. With headwork and other supportive mods 110-115Hp/120Tq. The 08 bike sits about in the middle of the 07 and 09-later bikes as it uses the earlier style head pipe, but has a larger 50mm throttle body when they changed to throttle by wire. It also has the larger 4.3gm injectors that will support just over 120Hp.

2009-2013 Touring: 107 w/stock heads: average 100-103Hp/115-118Tq. With headwork and other supportive mods 110-115Hp/120Tq. The 09-up FLH has the 50mm TB & 4.3 injectors like the 08 bike, however it has the newer style exhaust mounting design which crosses under the bike and gives more flexibility and earlier models. 09 up bikes have shorter gearing than the 07-08 bike, factory 103 bikes have auto compression releases.

2014-2015 Touring: 107 w/stock heads: average 100Hp/115Tq. With headwork and other supportive mods 110-115Hp/120Tq. The 14-15 FLH has a new CANbus ECM and the same 50mm TB & 4.9 injectors as the 08-13 bikes. ECM's adaptive knock retard strategy is a bit different than 08-13 models.

2007-2015 Dyna & Softail models: 107 w/stock heads: average 90-95Hp/105-112Tq. With headwork and other supportive mods 108-115Hp/120Tq. (Softail models are generally about 5% lower than others due to the counterbalanced B motor). These bikes have the smaller 46mm throttle body and 3.91 injectors which will support in the 90's for Hp. Larger TB & injectors are required beyond mid 90's for HP. Exhaust wise these bikes are more limited than FLH models, 2/1's work well however they do not have the primary length of the FLH pipe.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys have any data on a 103" build with Level B heads, cams exhaust, intake, and tuner? Just curious how much the extra 4 cubic inches adds as far as power? Is it worth the cost just for 4 extra cubic inches?

Old 02-02-2015, 11:06 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcdermit
Do you guys have any data on a 103" build with Level B heads, cams exhaust, intake, and tuner? Just curious how much the extra 4 cubic inches adds as far as power? Is it worth the cost just for 4 extra cubic inches?
We have build tons of 103's with/without headwork and many, many, 107's. It isnt so much about the increase in displacement (you can expect about 1Hp per/CI), it is all about increasing compression and having a piston with the proper valve reliefs, dome height, etc.. There are simply limitations with the stock pistons, and if you are replacing pistons you do not generally put a new piston in a used bore, since the bore needs to be attended to we simply go to 107"

Old 02-02-2015, 02:42 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
The fuel moto 2-1-2 head pipes are capable of putting out big numbers without having to go to a 2 into 1. The vance and hines power pipe is also good for supporting130 hp. I have the fuel moto xxx pipe on my 124 making 146 hp and its almost to quiet with crusher mellow mufflers.The nice thing is you can run 2 mufflers to quiet the exhaust down for touring. I have done the 2-1 D&D zilla on my 120r and was leaving my ears ringing on trips.

When building a Harley engine do it right the first time. The most important part is to chose a reputable company(fuel moto ,Tman performance,hillside) and follow the recipe for power then find someone who knows how to tune.
I had a great discussion with Jaime this morning and decided to go with the new heads and the V&H he says they're a good match for the build and my bike. I maybe don't need it, but I'm **** enough to want it anyway, no down side except the money..

Thanks for that info. I've decided to go with the V&H Pro Pipe as it fits my bike, FM has them in stock and they are a good price.

I'll post pics/specs etc when it all happens near end of month. Really looking forward to going out and meeting all the crew at Fuel Moto USA.

Last edited by oldhippie; 02-02-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a great discussion with Jaime this morning and decided to go with the new heads and the V&H he says they're a good match for the build and my bike. I maybe don't need it, but I'm anak enough to want ti anyway, no down side except the money..

Thanks for that info. I've decided to go with the V&H Pro Pipe as it fits my bike, FM has them in stock and they are a good price.

I'll post pics/specs etc when it all happens near end of month. Really looking forward to going out and meeting all the crew at Fuel Moto USA.
Don't forget you can always change the oil pan to get the modern 2-1-2 exhaust to work on your older bike.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

I had a great discussion with Jaime this morning and decided to go with the new heads and the V&H he says they're a good match for the build and my bike. I maybe don't need it, but I'm anak enough to want ti anyway, no down side except the money..

Sounds Great.
Glad you deceided to go 1st class. Don't think you will be disappointed.
This kit pulls very hard.

Its gonna be really hard to wipe the smile off your face.
Believe me.

You are gonna really, really enjoy this build.
It Rocks
Jamie has done very good with the setup putting it together.

I myself really, really like it.

Merry Christmas. Even if its late.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:40 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Sounds Great.
Glad you deceided to go 1st class. Don't think you will be disappointed.
This kit pulls very hard.

Its gonna be really hard to wipe the smile off your face.
Believe me.

You are gonna really, really enjoy this build.
It Rocks
Jamie has done very good with the setup putting it together.

I myself really, really like it.

Merry Christmas. Even if its late.
I'm pretty excited, I have a history of buying a bike, taking very good care of it, putting lots of miles on, and doing nice upgrades. I got to the point where it was either buy a new bike, and face doing all that other set up stuff I knew I'd want, or keep the bike I have and put some money into the engine. I know it doesn't have the new frame, brakes and lot's of other neat features the new ones have, but it'll have a kick-*** motor.

Quick Reply: 107" Big Bore Kit and Dyno Testing by Fuel Moto