Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the New HD Boom! Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bought the New HD Boom! Speakers

Got the new HD Boom! Speakers yesterday for my 2010 Street Glide. I debated for a long time between these and the J&M's. There is no doubt the J&M's are great speakers and I was torn on which ones to get for months. But in the end I just decided that for my riding style that I just didn't want to spend the difference in price between the two and I also didn't want to hassle with ordering and shipping. It really just came down to that. I was "concerned" though because I know your "get what you pay for" but I was willing to take a chance, esp after hearing these speakers on the new 2011 SGSE. Well, put them in yesterday and they sound GREAT!! Great volume levels, good Bass and VERY Clear. We had them on at the dealership and several people walked over and couldn't believe that they weren't J&M's. One guy even said that in his opinion they sounded better than his J&M's and was going to buy these after hearing them. What was the real test was on the highway at 70MPH I only had them turned exactly half way up and could hear just fine. Matter of fact at stoplights in town I caught myself turning them down. Now I'm in no way knocking J&M, like I said they are a great speaker too. But if you don't want to spend the extra money and you just want good decent sound without going crazy with amps and stuff, these speakers are GREAT!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Would you have a picture of them mounted in your fairing? Thx

Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Pretty much described the reason why I also decided to go with the HD Boom speakers. I was just looking for something better than stock without having to worry about adding an amp.

I'm also pleased with the way they perform.

Heres a couple of pic's for frenchbiker of them on a 09 Street Glide.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They are on my list! Glad to hear folks are happy with them

Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the pics, SciFi.
Looks like the HD chrome speaker bezels won't fit these speakers, right?

Last edited by frenchbiker; 09-29-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:11 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I got 'em for my 08 SG a few months ago and was VERY impressed with the difference between them & the stock speakers. However, thanks to my newly acquired HD addiction, I'm now thinking about adding an amp, etc., etc., etc. Always looking for bigger, better, faster, & more...

Old 09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just purchased the Boom speakers and think they sound good, but I am not getting the volume that I was expecting. The reason I bought the speakers were because the pitch of the stock speakers hurt my ears when anything other than music came on, like a DJ's voice or a commercial with someone talking, while at highway speeds. The Boom speakers actually cured that problem, but I honestly believe the stock speakers were louder. I am finding myself cranking the volume up to max just to hear it at highway speeds when before I never had to turn it up to more than 3/4 volume. I think my overall cure is that I am going to have to buy an amp to go with the Boom speakers because I do like the quality of the sound they provide. I am hoping that it may also be my setup with the stock HK stereo. I never did get to play with that much after installation of the speakers.

PS. I had to modify the chrome speaker rings to fit the Booms, because I like my chrome stuff

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose

I had to modify the chrome speaker rings to fit the Booms, because I like my chrome stuff
Tell me more about the mod. I like my chrome stuff too. <g>

Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Big Pig
Road Master

Msgt, mine are not only much clearer as you said but are also remarkably louder than the stocks were. At least that's what I'm getting.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Big Pig
Road Master

Also Msgt, not sure if it is the problem or it if matters but your Booms are not mounted correctly. I've never seen anyones upside down like that.

Quick Reply: Bought the New HD Boom! Speakers