Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought the New HD Boom! Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 07:22 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is Dynamat? Where can you get it?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
ultraroad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
What is Dynamat? Where can you get it?
This is what i have read as i know little to nothing about it but after a trip to my dealer i am thinking of buying some Boom's the parts guy tells me the new version is first class. Dynamat It is a form of sound insulation/sound proofing comes in a sheet,a lot of people say you can also use a product called peel and stick (thin flexible roofing rubber) that u can buy at lowes for a great deal less.I guess you cover the rear of the speaker to create the effect of a deeper sound and to prevent sound loss.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 AM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ultraroad
I guess you cover the rear of the speaker to create the effect of a deeper sound and to prevent sound loss.
You don't cover the rear of speake,r you cover the enclosure the speaker is in to make it more solid and less hollow sounding. This gives a much better sound. My fairing now sounds less hollow if you knock on the outside of it. I lined the entire inside of the outer fairing with Dynamat.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt Rose
I also just purchased the Boom speakers and think they sound good, but I am not getting the volume that I was expecting. The reason I bought the speakers were because the pitch of the stock speakers hurt my ears when anything other than music came on, like a DJ's voice or a commercial with someone talking, while at highway speeds. The Boom speakers actually cured that problem, but I honestly believe the stock speakers were louder. I am finding myself cranking the volume up to max just to hear it at highway speeds when before I never had to turn it up to more than 3/4 volume. I think my overall cure is that I am going to have to buy an amp to go with the Boom speakers because I do like the quality of the sound they provide. I am hoping that it may also be my setup with the stock HK stereo. I never did get to play with that much after installation of the speakers.

PS. I had to modify the chrome speaker rings to fit the Booms, because I like my chrome stuff
I installed a pair on my Limited last weekend and couldn't be more pleased. So much clearer than the stock ones. Heck at 70 miles per hour at 1/2 volume I can clearly hear the turn by turn directions from my Zumo 550. You can fit what I know about audio on the head of a pin but I always thought that the tweeters needed a clear line of sight to the rider for best effect? Rotating the speakers 90 degrees may have effected their performance. BTW have you checked the setting of the Automatic Volume Control on your bike? Just a couple thoughts.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the stock speakers on front and just added the tourpak, boom speakers etc to the back. Love the way it all sounds with the 4 speakers but I may at some point upgrade to the boom speakers on front also.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I have the stock speakers on front and just added the tourpak, boom speakers etc to the back. Love the way it all sounds with the 4 speakers but I may at some point upgrade to the boom speakers on front also.
Didyou install the boom pods to a stock detachable king tour pac? Do you have any pics? Did you also add an amp or have the dealer reflash your stock radio so you could use the fade options?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:52 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain

Sorry it took me forever to repost. I don't check in as often as I'd like to.

I ordered a new king tour-pak and these speakers when I picked up the bike. I had the dealership do all the installation. They are attached to the pak if that's what you mean.

As far as the fade feature, honestly I haven't messed with it as it sounds good. I hadn't even tried to adjust the fade and wasn't aware a flash may be necessary. I'll look into that.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain

Here's a picture but it only shows from the side. No, I didn't have an amp installed but not ruling it out for the future