Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tune required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:49 PM
lnemup
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a tune required?

Over the weekend I just installed a new set of pipes on 07 Streetglide. I put on the Bub7 duals with cross over tubes.

My question now is someone said no retuning would be required? My bike is stock other than these pipes. The instructions in bold letters say that retuning is required. I called Bub and asked them. There responce that is recommended because even though I didnt change airflow into carb, the pipes have more flow. They also mentioned Harleys from factory run very lean.

Notice no popping or anything unusual after install?

So what are my choices? Do I have to buy a program like a power commander? Is this something I can just take to HD dealer? Should I do the aircleaner first then tune? Need some help here. What am I expected to pay? Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 PM
LozoB
Tourer

Do the intake then tune/remap with Power Commander. Don't need to do it until you do the intake so long as it's running fine.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 PM
lnemup
Intermediate

Thanks,
Any recommendations on the intake? How much am I looking at for intake, commander, tuned/mapped? Should I be calling fuel moto, do it yourself, or dealer?Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 02:12 PM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been a number of articles in American Iron Magazine stating the newer ECM's can accomodate exhaust and air cleaner changes without a tuner. Having said that I don't recall which year they stated had the newer ECM's. It was at least '09 and later but I'm not sure if earlier models are included.

My non technical thought is you're probably fine changing exhaust without a tuner. Add in a new air cleaner and watch how the bike runs. Popping would be the sign a tuner would be needed.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:16 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Fuel Moto

Give Jamie or anyone at Fuel Moto a call and they will set you up with the proper intake changes and a PC to fit your needs. If you are a DIY'er you can try to cut corners here and there, but I can tell ya you will have more headache than you will money saved. "Do it once and do it the right way." Also if you do more upgrades later, (cam, bigger bore) they will help with a new map.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lnemup
Thanks,
Any recommendations on the intake? How much am I looking at for intake, commander, tuned/mapped? Should I be calling fuel moto, do it yourself, or dealer?Thanks
Fuel Moto sells A/C ($120.00), PCV($300.00). PCV will have a map loaded for your set-up. I bought the power package from FM in June with the loaded map and my bike runs perfect, also runs cooler. By the way FM loads the map for free and the support is excellent.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:07 PM
lnemup
Intermediate

Noticed already after 10 mins of driving front pipe at head already blueing. My stock pipes I took off were blue as well. So called Jamie, and ordered aircleaner/ tuner package. I got the cheaper one, which is there brand I guess, but assureed me would be what I need to handle. Apperantly running way to lean.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 PM
LozoB
Tourer

Originally Posted by lnemup
Thanks,
Wimmer 90 degree intake is great.around $400. They have a bunch of great set ups.
Dynojet Power Commander around $375. They work great. Hook up to your laptop and do it yourself. Pretty easy. Also you then own the thing and can remap if needed as you upgrade by downloading new maps.
Do it yourself. You learn something, you get the pride of diy, you save a ton of money when you diy.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

EVERY new bike needs a tune .They all run lean /hot.The question is,how much do you want to spend? A dyno tune and a tts will set you back$$$,buyt you can't top it when done correctly.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:26 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pkraft
There have been a number of articles in American Iron Magazine stating the newer ECM's can accomodate exhaust and air cleaner changes without a tuner. Having said that I don't recall which year they stated had the newer ECM's. It was at least '09 and later but I'm not sure if earlier models are included.

My non technical thought is you're probably fine changing exhaust without a tuner. Add in a new air cleaner and watch how the bike runs. Popping would be the sign a tuner would be needed.

I am starting to believe they don't need a tuner and the ecm self adjusts for minor changes like cleaner and pipes on the newer closed loop systems, there is usually no popping or rough running when you change the pipes and air cleaner without tuner, its all koolaid for them to get your money. JMO

Last edited by leohd; 09-28-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Is a tune required?