Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a tune required?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:52 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

they will run ok but hot way tooo hot. if your running in 60 degree temps youll be ok witrhout a tune but sit in traffic on a 90 degree day and you will burn things without a tune. heat is the #1 killer of air cooled motors why risk it?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
lnemup
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I called Jamie, and ordered the 319 package deal. I hope it is worth it. Not really sure what to expect. Searching around this site I gather helps with heat, quicker responce, fattens up the fuel, and with the new pipes should add some hp/tq. Sound about right?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
they will run ok but hot way tooo hot. if your running in 60 degree temps youll be ok witrhout a tune but sit in traffic on a 90 degree day and you will burn things without a tune. heat is the #1 killer of air cooled motors why risk it?
if its running hot aka lean you should have some popping and or lose power

Old 09-28-2010, 10:04 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally no you don't need too.

Do your research. Try tuneyourharley.com read, read, read, read.

Of course your pipes turned blue all pipes will, it is a natural chemical reaction of metal to heat. 300 - 700 degrees.

For all those professing a tune, a power commander or anything else;

Where is the documented proof? Not the I heard from a friend blah, blah, or my indy says so, or I read it on the forum and by gawd that's gospel.

Show us in writing mechanical proof, charts, independent research by a reliable source.

Not trying to be a wiener but backyard mechanics and hearsay evidence doesn't make a very good case for belief.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
88racing
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BBStacker

Of course your pipes turned blue all pipes will, it is a natural chemical reaction of metal to heat. 300 - 700 degrees.

Where is the documented proof? Not the I heard from a friend blah, blah, or my indy says so, or I read it on the forum and by gawd that's gospel.

Show us in writing mechanical proof, charts, independent research by a reliable source.

Not trying to be a wiener but backyard mechanics and hearsay evidence doesn't make a very good case for belief.
I think I won't be buying anything from their website>>tuneyourharley.com ie xieds.
Nothing more than inline resistors fooling the ecm.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:22 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe you changed your tone in mid-stream, but to answer your initial question, if you're just changing exhaust you dont need to change anything else. You'll still be running "factory lean", which I don't reccomend, but you'll be okay. Add a a high-flow air cleaner and you'll definitely need a fuel management system.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 566 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
I believe you changed your tone in mid-stream, but to answer your initial question, if you're just changing exhaust you dont need to change anything else. You'll still be running "factory lean", which I don't reccomend, but you'll be okay. Add a a high-flow air cleaner and you'll definitely need a fuel management system.
Yes... it will adjust back to the 14.6:1 epa setting.Depending on the rpm range,a v-twin likes 13.8 - 14.2:1. If ok is good enough,then leave it be. If you want max perf,economy and and longer service life,you must tune the motor.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:56 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by BBStacker

Dude,you sound so ridiculious.This is not rocket science.Your adding new pipes,which creates better breathing(more air),so you have to add more fuel.The ecm's on these bikes are not that self adjusting to adjust all the lean spots at different throttle settings.The ecm needs to be adjusted with a device that can change the settings while using real world conditions(Dyno tune).The PC's work but it's a piggy back system.Newer bikes benefit more from fuel management systems like the TTS,SESPT,or the SERT!!! When ever you change the pipes,or air cleaner the bike needs re-tuning,it's a fact.Your changing air conditions so you have to change fuel settings.If you don't you run the risk of damaging the motor.It might not be visable at first, depending on weather conditions,but it will surface at some point in time, & maybe by then it's to late.If you pay top dollar for a Harley why cheap out on the tune?? Most due, & thats why most have problems!!! Any one that says you don't need a tune after changing pipes,or a/c doesn't know what they are talking about.If they think they do, then line up against someone who has had a tune done correctly & watch him smoke your ***!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM
lnemup
Intermediate

Guess I shouldn't be amazed with all the different opinions. Appreciate all the advise. I was just really looking for loader sound and caught a good deal on pipes. In the process didnt want to sacrifice the sound, and cause damage to the bike. I understand that dyno tuning is the best procedure, but considering most say nothing is required when changing exhaust, think the AC/PCIII I just ordered is a step in the right direction. When I spoke with the guy at fuel moto (who is recommended on this board) he knew exactly what I needed. Thanks again everyone

Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lnemup
Guess I shouldn't be amazed with all the different opinions. Appreciate all the advise. I was just really looking for loader sound and caught a good deal on pipes. In the process didnt want to sacrifice the sound, and cause damage to the bike. I understand that dyno tuning is the best procedure, but considering most say nothing is required when changing exhaust, think the AC/PCIII I just ordered is a step in the right direction. When I spoke with the guy at fuel moto (who is recommended on this board) he knew exactly what I needed. Thanks again everyone
Tell us how you like the performance after you get FM's pkg installed. Forget all the debate on here..........I am betting you will notice an improvement and be happy with your purchase.

Quick Reply: Is a tune required?