Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,847 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugspit
My question is after looking at all of the comments on the forum on this issue I have decided on getting a Cleraview 8.5 recurve. Does anyone have experience with this and did it help the problem?

Thanks for any help!
First off, don't waste your money on lowers unless you really want them for other reasons. The buffeting comes from the crappy stock windshield on the SG, and the air that comes from around and underneath the forks.

Get a pair of the fork deflectors (like in my sig pic), and a nice Clearview recurve windshield. This will kill the buffeting.

I'm 6' 1", and I have a 6.5 inch and an 8 inch Clearview. I use the 6.5 for local riding, and the 8 inch for long distance riding. I have long legs and a short trunk, so these two windshields work great for me. If you are 6' 2" and sit high in the seat, I would get the 8 inch Clearview...at a minimum. The 10 inch might be better for your body type.

I can't stress enough what a difference the fork deflectors make. They kill the buffet from my waist to my chin. The higher windshield takes care of the rest.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
firedog341
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6' and use a 6.5" recurve. Wind goes just over my head. Stock shield puts wind in my forehead. I get some buffeting in a strong cross or head wind from air coming up from under the wing.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 PM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 08-15-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bugspit
I have read many many posts online here in regards to the buffetting issue on Street Glides. I am 6'2 and tend to sit a little high. I have been riding damm near all my life and mostly with out windshields, but with this bike I feel like my head is in a blender. Half helmets dont work, full helmets work only with shield down. I have tried sitting back and also crouching down and that makes things a little better, but as we all know thats not too safe.

My question is after looking at all of the comments on the forum on this issue I have decided on getting a Cleraview 8.5 recurve. Does anyone have experience with this and did it help the problem?

Thanks for any help!
8.5 Isn't tall enough for you, I'm only 5'10" and 8.5 wasn't tall enough for me, unless you are riding without a helmet. I'm up to a 10" now. You're going to need even taller unless you like to slouch. Read Clearviews sight and follow the instructions as to how top get the right one.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'4" and I've had an 8.5" Clearview for the past year and feel it offers plenty of wind protection. Matter of fact the wind swirls around and comes from behind! I just recently put an LRS 6.5" shield on and honestly feel it gives only slightly less protection than the Clearview, probably due to a bit more "flip" in the recurve, but very little if any buffeting. I also run a solo seat that sits a bit lower than some of the sofas that some prefer

Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 PM
fireguy5
Cruiser

I like to look just over my shield. With me being only 5.8 the 8.5" works perfect and that's also with a Sundowner seat that sits and inch lower than stock.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ULTRA
The Clearview or other recurved windshield will help, but with your height I would recommend a taller one than 8.5". I am 5'10" and use a 9" windshield.
Yep...same height as you and using a 9.5" Clearview... I ride a lot of interstate

Old 09-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Bowtie78
Novice

I have an 8" recurve on my 08 SG with a mustang touring seat and Im 6'3", works good! I wanted to try to keep it as short as possible so I didnt kill the looks, fit my bill of appearance vs. functional!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Did the 6 inch recurve on mine; balance of low profile and more wind protection. I'm 5'10 and slouch a little in the saddle. I also like a little wind. The 6 is good for me, eight might be too high for my liking. Got the smoked.

Made a positive difference over stock.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:00 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a Clearview 91/2 and just got a LRS 11".The LRS is in my sight line while the Clearview is much lower.I think both offer the same protection.

Quick Reply: Buffetting and clearview recurve winshield