Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for 103

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
My dealer told me that 255s would void the warranty.
Your dealer is being difficult. Mine installed the 103 kit and cams, all wit 2 year warranty...

Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 PM
RK14SGS
Road Warrior
Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoSpgsMark
The Road King classic comes standard with the 103 Powerpak (aka big bore kit) - the second dealer is an idiot.

Mark
Are you sure about this? I sat on a 2011 96" ride last weekend to check out the seat. Seat was awesome by the way. In addition, there was another RKC there with the 103 powerpak option. Curious now....

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts

Did the 103" with the 255, V&H Dresser Duals/Monster Ovals along with the SEPST and a dyno-love it.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Are you sure about this? I sat on a 2011 96" ride last weekend to check out the seat. Seat was awesome by the way. In addition, there was another RKC there with the 103 powerpak option. Curious now....
According to HD it is. The Road King standard has the 96".

Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

im going with the 259 cams this winter with 103 build.Ive been waiting for people to report back on them and made my choice,not alot of feedback.They like compression.So im going to make shure hopefully I can give them enough,so the low end still rips.I like that they are just below what would be called a high lift cam so as to avoid haveing to buy a bunch of other stuff that a build over the top would require.myself and the People i ride with all like to ride fast on the highways of central pa(pa autobaun).they are a bolt on cam but need some attention to clearances of the rocker plate thingey.cam chest should be ok and geomitry should be ok.It was like pulling teeth to find all i will need to install these but like i said its just under the raidar,no worries..ect

Old 09-29-2010, 12:15 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP, many people love the 255's, and swear by them. It's not my cam of choice, but it fits many rider's style of riding. You can go with ANY SE cam and not void your warranty, so the second dealer if full of ****, other than telling you that he will only install a cam that he "believes in". Also, don't pay a lot of attention to many of the other posters here, there are a lot of them that are full of ****. Once you've been on this site for a little while you'll know who know's what they're talking about, and who doesn't know ****.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:07 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridinirish
Hi all,

I'm getting a 2011 Road King Classic, and to keep the warranty was going to have the SE 255 cams installed. My local dealer thought this was a fine idea. However, I was pricing the work out at another dealer, and they told me they wouldn't recommend the 255s, they would only do the 211s, which according to them would also require a big bore upgrade. Am I getting hosed by one or the other, or is it just more of a personal preference thing? Thanks!
The dealer who recommended 211's with stock compression is giving you a poor recommendation, and I would run way from them. The 255 is one of few cams you can put in a stock engine that will not hurt low-end torque, will boost the low-end and midrange impressively, and increase peak-HP to a lesser degree. The 211's will kill your low-end without a substantial compression increase, and IMO are not suitable for the needs of most touring riders.

There are plenty of threads on cams here and you will find much feedback if you do a search.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
im going with the 259 cams this winter with 103 build.Ive been waiting for people to report back on them and made my choice,not alot of feedback.They like compression.So im going to make shure hopefully I can give them enough,so the low end still rips.I like that they are just below what would be called a high lift cam so as to avoid haveing to buy a bunch of other stuff that a build over the top would require.myself and the People i ride with all like to ride fast on the highways of central pa(pa autobaun).they are a bolt on cam but need some attention to clearances of the rocker plate thingey.cam chest should be ok and geomitry should be ok.It was like pulling teeth to find all i will need to install these but like i said its just under the raidar,no worries..ect
You will need 10.5-1 with those cams with a 103 in a bagger with your gearing. I would think about keeping the intake close closer to 40 rather than 50 if it were me, and it just was me as I took out SE 251's(46 close almost identical to 259e's 47 close, don't get too caught up in the "e" cam hype) and put in a .030 hg with a camset that had 575 lift and 42 close, this was a 2008 FLHX 103. Best to keep your ccp over 190 if you want it to rip.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tx-skydiver
My dealer told me that 255s would void the warranty.
Nope, you could put cams in that you made yourself in your garage, the only thing voided would be any damage caused by the non-approved part. All the other parts would still be covered under warranty, this is federal law. Better yet, it's up to the warrantor (dealer or HD) to prove that the non-approved part caused the failure before declaring the work void under warranty.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Firetender
Nope, you could put cams in that you made yourself in your garage, the only thing voided would be any damage caused by the non-approved part. All the other parts would still be covered under warranty, this is federal law. Better yet, it's up to the warrantor (dealer or HD) to prove that the non-approved part caused the failure before declaring the work void under warranty.
You are absolutely correct however there is no law requiring them to fix his bike while fighting that out but I'm sure they would fix it if/when they decide to stop fighting over it which could be a long time, all the while his bike is broken. He could pay for it out of his pocket and try to recover his out of pocket expenses from Harley Davidson once the fight is over. For some not taking on the Motor Company is just easier.

Quick Reply: Cams for 103