Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have to remove push rods n rocker box for upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I have to remove push rods n rocker box for upgrade?

Do I have to remove the push rods n rocker box to do upgrade on cam tensioner? I bought the SE upgrade kit for my 04 EGC and don't know if I can get away with not replaceing the pushrods to Adj. rods and opening the rocker box. Anyone know how I can do this, if at all possible?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Drail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will either remove the rocker boxes to remove the pushrods or cut the old ones and replace with adjustables

Old 09-27-2010, 12:25 PM
cf7go
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES. Uprade the rest while you are in there!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Hammy
Tourer

Originally Posted by Drail
You will either remove the rocker boxes to remove the pushrods or cut the old ones and replace with adjustables
Precisely what he said...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Are the adj. push rods an improvement over the stock ones in other ways other than by not having to remove the boxes to get the old ones out?

Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
Are the adj. push rods an improvement over the stock ones in other ways other than by not having to remove the boxes to get the old ones out?
No. Unless you plan on removing the cam plate a couple of times during a season, don't spend the money on adjustables. Remove tank, rocker covers and boxes, pull pushrods and reverse to put back together. More work but once done, no pushrods to adjust, no adjustor nuts to come loose; no worries.

Don't know how many miles on the bike but you should replace inner cam bearings; upgrade the INA bearings to Torrington. Replace oil pump and scavenge port o-rings, replace o-ring under rocker box (below breathers), replace plastic breather with metal ('04 may have been the year the breathers were upgraded to metal??) replace breather innards and gaskets. If mileage is low, inner cam bearigs, oil pump and scavenge port o-rings should be enough. Front is easy, the back is more challenging.

If more than 25K miles, I would take the opportunity to replace the lifters as well.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

I have 37K on it. Won't the new SE upgrade plate come with new bearings? I ordered the SE upgrade Hydra. from Chicago HD and it comes with the new oil pump already. I would think it would come with new bearings as you speak of, shouldn't it?
I was going to get the new rings needed for te rocker box already for it takes 5 if I think right. The stealer by me had the complete kit for around $100. I am a tad tight on cash now and was trying to get what I needed w/o getting crazy with it.
I am having a friend who is a Cert. mech. helping me on this project. Do we have to have any speciality tools to do this job that a regular mech. would not have already?

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 09-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

It won't come with bearings. You will have to buy the bearings and gaskets separate or buy the cam installation gasket kit. I would suggest re-using stock pushrods and going through the rockers. What I would do is buy the Herko quick connect crossover to make future tank pulls easier. I would also buy the 61001-01 fuel filter kit, 61402-02 top gasket and 10 of the 1311D's sealing screws and change out the fuel filter whilst the tank is off. Then I would go through the rocker boxes and drill out the rocker supports with a #43 drill bit for better oil return and use the new 2011 breather baffles. I would also use the SE (Torrington) inner bearings in the cam chest. And yes, new lifters as well.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
It won't come with bearings. You will have to buy the bearings and gaskets separate or buy the cam installation gasket kit. I would suggest re-using stock pushrods and going through the rockers. What I would do is buy the Herko quick connect crossover to make future tank pulls easier. I would also buy the 61001-01 fuel filter kit, 61402-02 top gasket and 10 of the 1311D's sealing screws and change out the fuel filter whilst the tank is off. Then I would go through the rocker boxes and drill out the rocker supports with a #43 drill bit for better oil return and use the new 2011 breather baffles. I would also use the SE (Torrington) inner bearings in the cam chest. And yes, new lifters as well.
The man knows what's he's talking about, but I wouldn't ride over to his house. He may hit your machine with a hammer.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you don't have one, buy the HD service manual for your bike. And do as Dawg suggested. The fuel filter is changed at 25K mile intervals IIRC.

I haven't purchased the Herko crossover quick disconnect product, but I want to keep my stainless/chrome crossover line, and I don't take the tank off that often, but when I do I don't mind the process.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Quick Reply: Do I have to remove push rods n rocker box for upgrade?