Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

adding an amp to BOOM speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default adding an amp to BOOM speakers?

My dad has boom speakers all the way around in is 07 Ultra and he’s saying he still not satisfied. He wants an amp but he does not want to sacrifice any bag space. I told him to go with the Elf brand 2ch amp or the Arc 2ch amp. Both of them have the same capacity and space to place them in the fairing. I think these may serve him a little better than the biketronics $400 job. Any suggestions? Anybody had any success with the elf or arc brands pumping 4 speakers? Also im assuming his speakers are 2ohm and the amp may be 4ohm on the two channels, will that make a major difference in his sound quality?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:34 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump. anybody?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the Arc 125.2 (as do many others) here and am very happy with it, but don't use a tour pak with speakers like your Dad's Ultra.

If I had a tour pak with speakers and fader control of the HK headunit, I'd look at four-channel amps so the fader control can be used. My buddy has HD's HK four-channel amp (from the CVO Ultra) that mounts under the tour pak and is extremely happy with it. Hogtunes has a four-channel in-fairing amp that looks interesting, and Hawg-wired offers a pricey four-channel in-fairing amp also.

J&M is coming out with a 4-channel amp in 2011 (presumably based on the Arc 125.4 since their current amp is based on the Arc 125.2 amp) that should be 500W (125 X 4) at 2 ohms. I'm waiting for it since I'll be adding speakers in the fairing lowers and want the fader control for use with them.

Good luck with your research.

Carl

PS: Hope you are using the search function during the time between your original post and the bump since there is a lot of information on amps here on the Touring forum, and lots of vendors to check out.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
My dad has boom speakers all the way around in is 07 Ultra and he’s saying he still not satisfied. He wants an amp but he does not want to sacrifice any bag space. I told him to go with the Elf brand 2ch amp or the Arc 2ch amp. Both of them have the same capacity and space to place them in the fairing. I think these may serve him a little better than the biketronics $400 job. Any suggestions? Anybody had any success with the elf or arc brands pumping 4 speakers? Also im assuming his speakers are 2ohm and the amp may be 4ohm on the two channels, will that make a major difference in his sound quality?
If he is using 2 ohm speakers, he won't be able to use a 2 channel amp for all 4 speakers. It will build up too much heat and can cause early amp failure (among other problems). It would be great if using 4 ohm speakers, aside from the fact he would no longer be able to use his fader.

If he does want the fader or is using 2 ohm speakers, he will have to go with a 4 channel amp.