Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Old Man, there are a lot of good options available. On my '07 Road King, I had the SE Intake and HD download and the bike ran very nicely.

On my '08 Road Glide I have the 103" kit, SE Intake, HD download and stock pipes. The bike runs a bit hot in the summer and pings a bit under load. I just installed the PCV Retro from FuelMoto and that solved those problems. Seems to have improved throttle response a bit as well.

I think your idea is a sound one if you want to remain basically stock but with a bit better throttle response. The SE Intake will definitely require the HD download as a minimum to avoid dangerously lean conditions. Remember that adding more air to the system without more fuel will result in an overly lean mixture. My opinion and experience is that either the HD Download or aftermarket tuner would work very well for you.
Thanks Pastor John, That what I was looking for, the opinion of someone who has done it. I appreciate all the comments about different upgrades but thats not what I am interested in. I use the bike for fun and a daily commuter. Even in the winter if here is no snow or ice etc. Carrying the Mrs some times I feel like I would like to hve a little more power for passing etc.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It ain't only if you've done it

Its when you just do one thing and feel a litltle power. Where do you stop before you keep doing it.
I've done it over and over and over.
And if you want to just throw yer money in the wrong direction.
Another reason I suggested to START with a Thundermax. YOU will notise a lot more that you can feel than just a air kit and pipes and a download.
And the bike will run cooler.
And a download from HD is a joke.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
It ain't only if you've done it

Its when you just do one thing and feel a litltle power. Where do you stop before you keep doing it.
I've done it over and over and over.
And if you want to just throw yer money in the wrong direction.
Another reason I suggested to START with a Thundermax. YOU will notise a lot more that you can feel than just a air kit and pipes and a download.
And the bike will run cooler.
And a download from HD is a joke.
Respectfully disagree with you Cardboard. If the OP had a engine setup like your's, He would definately need a tuner. But if he's like he said, all he wants is a little better throttle response and run a little cooler. He can do it a lot cheaper than buying a tuner. I've talked with a lot of experts, both HD techs and Indy's. Plus online!
I've proved my point with mine and my wife's bikes. I installed stage1 A/F and pipes on both bikes. I'm controlling the fuel enrichment with niteriders FL-XIED'S on both. The reason it works for me and her, We don't run in the upper RPM range very much. The FL-XIED'S enriches the fuel mixture from 14.7.7 to 13.8 in the closed loop. If I run the engine in the upper open loop range, The open loop values will handle short runs up there. Her engine is a 103 as well, But she rides almost totally in the closed loop area. And no the HD Tech didn't recommend the FL-XIED'S, But he did tell me that anybody who thinks the HD download is worthless, come see him, He'll show them a bike that is running stage1 with a cam with the DL. JMO

Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Harley ships these bikes to the dealers runnin lean and the timing advanced.
If you give yer bike more gas you will git some more power and cool it at the same time.

If you notise when somebody gits a new bike, you hear them talkin to Harley mechanics on what to do 1st.

And the 1st 2 things they do is air box and pipes and this forces them into doing something with the tune.
The tune on a bike is very important .

The best thing for power is a real tuner like the thundermax A/T and cams 1st .
The thundermax will give you more afrs at Idle and lean them out when runnin for better fuel milage.
Will the XIED's do that.......
Why limit yerself..........
Do it right the 1st time.

What you want is to feel the power from point a to point b.
And when you are talkin about the rpm range you are riding it. Don't limit it.
You can choose a cam that will do everything from around 1400rpm all way threw 5500 rpms
The should be yer whole riding range.

And if it comes down to only money, leave the bike stock.....

But its yer bike so do it the way you want.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,141 Likes on 3,667 Posts

tHE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STOCK AND STAGE 1 FOR ME WAS NOT THAT NOTICEABLE BUT FROM STAGE 1 TO PCIII ...wow!!! THAT WAS NOTICEABLE...$150 FOR hd DOWNLOAD OR $239 FOR PRE-MAPPED FUEL MOTO PCIII...BIKE RUNS MUCH COOLER AND THE POWER IS THERE WHEN I NEED IT. LIKE I SAID EARLIER HINDSIGHT IS 20/20 I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND STAGE I OVER PCIII. 1 HOUR JOB OR A BIT MORE TO CHANGE AIR CLEANER, AND INSTALL A PCIII AT THE MOST.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

A REAL stage 1 requires something to control Air/Fuel Ratio beyond anything HD can. Remember HD is mandated by US EPA regulations to minimize exhaust emissions.

So they can't do a proper job feeding the engine gasoline. Simple as that.