Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone still ride with stock pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 AM
chopperblueflhti
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with running stock pipes...you can chat with the honda rider at the next light..

Kidding!

The day I go for a new Ultra, It will remain stock..it's all fun and games till the $$ starts flying in the wind for the upgrades..

Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Over the last 9000 miles the sound of my Limited has went from a nice rumble to a really nice rumble. It sounds great and I really don't want it any louder, but some of the heat has got to go. Next spring I plan to put Power Duals and a set of Supertrapp Fatshots on it and take my chances with sound. Hopefully getting rid of the cats will help with the heat and the closed end Supertrapps will keep the noise under control.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
strich
Tourer

Originally Posted by Toe Knee
for pipes on a budget. actually, and headers too!

http://www.americancustom.com/
I checked out the site and not only does the sound work, but the ease of install and the price is amazing. Have you had any experience with these pipes?

Did you need to do an ECM changeout and AC as well?

Old 09-28-2010, 05:51 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strich
I checked out the site and not only does the sound work, but the ease of install and the price is amazing. Have you had any experience with these pipes?

I do not have them, however, several weeks ago I did a benefit run and met another rider who had them on his bike. I listened to them and followed him as well to get a better idea of the sound.

For the money I was pretty impressed. The pipes look good and they sounded good as well. It had a deep rumble barked a little when you got on it and still radio friendly.

Last edited by CrusingHarley; 09-28-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 PM
88 Paladin
Cruiser

American Custom has a good
Tone, but its gonna be eBay for me.A good set of take offs for 20 or 30 bucks and drill the baffle until I get a good tone.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
iamjah
Stage I

I too bought a 2010 Road King. After 200 miles, I bought a cheap set of slash cut slip-ons off of E-bay, made by a company called "Wild Pig" for only $189.00! They are good quality chrome, look fantastic, and are just slightly louder than stock. I now have 1200 miles on the bike and the pipes are starting to get a nice low sporty sound when I get on it. Best of all, I haven't spent any money on air filters or power commanders and it still performs flawlessly and isn't too loud!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,843 Likes on 11,563 Posts

I may be going back to stock pipes if the State of Maine
has its way......tickets for after market exhausts, and
inspection shops not passing inspections unless they are stock mufflers.

Only time will tell....I sure will miss my Rush with 2" baffles

Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by strich

I don't have any experience with them personally but heard a set at a bike outing. for the money, they are impressive. the guys at american custom seem VERY competent. it is a good option for sure.

If you change out just your pipes you shouldn't need to do anything else unless you want to but remember that a stock bike from ANY manufacturer is down right wrong in the fuel mixture department. YES, the harley touring models are definitely one of the smoothest running bikes (in stock form) on the market but that's no comparison to what a proper stage one will do for you.

A fuel processor really is something that is needed on ANY bike now-a-day in order to get the fuel mixture correct. It sucks, but it's true.

hope this helps.