Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone still ride with stock pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the cagers in NJ would not try to run me over i would run stocks but it's NJ

Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

New 2010 Road King... stock... and sounds pretty good. A little quiet, but nice sound and rumble when I roll on the fun. I probably will leave then stock, unless I hear something with just a little more bite but not much louder. I've never been a super loud pipe guy, just a nice, low and mean growl... and this is pretty close to that... plus a it's a pleasure on long trips... and if people say it gets better after a few thousand miles, then it may be just right by then (I've put in just 1000 miles in one week of picking her up ).

Old 09-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the stock sound. As I've gotten older, I appreciate the stock sound and see no more need to have a louder sound as I did in years past. Fewer problems, saves money, and still sounds good to me. Rode through town the other day and a rider on an ultra came by with a "sound" so loud it was disturbing to everyone. Guess he liked it. But he was the only one in town who did......

Old 09-27-2010, 09:23 AM
strich
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for all of the responses.

I think i'm inclined to agree with most of you. I think if changing out the pipes is a must have it's only for the need of a little more growl or bass. Not for volume.

I think the other issue i have with changing them out is i'd lose that cool look of the stock pipes (a comment i never thought i'd hear out of my mouth). Something about how they're turned up a bit really seem to make the back end look mean.

Knowing that they'll start to sound better after some miles makes me think that keeping the stockers on might be a must. Plus, it'd save me some money.

Thanks again and i welcome any other responses.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Street Glide 103

Well I love the sound of those loud arssss pipes but only from a distance. I've stood in front of a Marshall amp for far too many years and my ears aint so good any more,but the love of my Gibson and marshall says the sound of my stock pipes will do more for my hearing. To each his OR her own. I love my Glide

Old 09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming off four years on a really loud, mean sounding, Rinehart 2-1 full system... i am kinda liking the quiet of the stockers. I would like to get True Duals and run 2 pipes versus the 2-1 (purely for looks), but would think about putting stock exhausts on them. May sound a little deeper, not sure??? Definitely want a high flow filter and tune her out a little so i can get more a little more out of her. I just don't want the loudness anymore. For the first time in many years i can go without earplugs and such and it is GLORIOUS! I would say that i wouldn't be against slip-ons that aren't loud but really meaty.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

When I bought my new StreetGlide last spring I was determined to change out the exhaust, a/c, and add a tuner. Was mostly concerned with how lean and hot the new motors are due to EPA stranglehold. I was really worried about cooling the bike down more than making it louder. While I still have concerns about how lean the engine runs I am happy to say that after 10K miles I am satisfied with the sound of the stock exhaust. It seems to get better with the miles. Granted, I still hear other big twins go down the road sounding really good, (you know what I mean), but I havent spent the $1500 or so to do the change out. This one might just stay stock.
And yes, I KNOW it will run better and have better performance with these mods but quite frankly I gave up racing years ago. Just like rolling along, know what I mean Vern?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

1st item swapped on my FLHX was the windshield & 2nd was the pipes...had to get wind off my forehead & wanted a little more sound.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:31 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still running stock on my 09Ultra. Thinking about the new cobra triovals. They suppose to be quiet but more freeflowing and bassy. Don't know but thinking.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those running 2010 and 2011 with stock pipes.....how is the heat factor from the cat? That is the main reason I want to swap out for after market exhaust...not for more sound...less heat

Quick Reply: Anyone still ride with stock pipes?