Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Parts/Motor Work & Factory Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After Market Parts/Motor Work & Factory Warranty?

I've been lurking around a lot, and been back and forth via PM with boogaloodude who has been a tremendous help and now I'm at a cross roads.

I figured hey let me have the dealer do what I want but when I go look into it, there's like $1000+ just in labor, WTF over?!@#

So my question now if for who ever wants to give an opinion, or to those who have been down the road I'm on and can offer advice based on experience. Do I wait until my factory warranty is over to start with the power adders, or just save and cough up the dough to the dealer??

I have a 2010 RKC with almost 1,100 miles on it. I want to make the bike more "fun" to ride by giving it some more power, but I'm not chasing dyno numbers here, of course I won't argue with good numbers. I'd like to wake the bike up, give it more power, and not feel like I'm dragging an anchor when I'm 2 up.

I was thinking of taking my dealers suggestion right now and starting with a head pipe, exhaust, A/C, cams, and a SERT tune but the labor on the cams alone is $500.I'm not filthy rich but save my pennies for the things I want but it would kill me to drop $1K + on labor to the dealer that can get me other things I want.

So do you think I should wait, or just do what I want with an INDY?

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:15 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

In all my add ons. I have made my decisions on what I want to do to the bike. Then again I did not purchase the extended warranty. If you are concerned, add the ECM if something happens to the bike, take it off before taking the bike in for service.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain

Let's say you scrap the idea for cams just for the moment. Buy the headers, mufflers, air cleaner, & tuner, and install these items yourself. The labor you save on these items alone would pay for the cam install should you decide to add the cams and not be willing to tackle the job yourself.

The stage 1 stuff is so easy to do yourself, you'll be surprised at the very least. Get a good tune and you may be even more surprised by the wake up call your motor just received!

Good luck with whichever you choose.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned above, buy the Stage 1 components (try fuelmotousa. They sell a complete kit, and it's very economical), and do the install yourself. This will give you a little more "oomph", but if you're not happy with just that, afterwards install cams, or have someone else do it for you. If you buy the Stage 1 kit and install it yourself you'll save a bundle. And spend 50 bucks for the service manual, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Da Butcher
Let's say you scrap the idea for cams just for the moment. Buy the headers, mufflers, air cleaner, & tuner, and install these items yourself. The labor you save on these items alone would pay for the cam install should you decide to add the cams and not be willing to tackle the job yourself.

The stage 1 stuff is so easy to do yourself, you'll be surprised at the very least. Get a good tune and you may be even more surprised by the wake up call your motor just received!

Good luck with whichever you choose.
Originally Posted by jeff.georgalas
As mentioned above, buy the Stage 1 components (try fuelmotousa. They sell a complete kit, and it's very economical), and do the install yourself. This will give you a little more "oomph", but if you're not happy with just that, afterwards install cams, or have someone else do it for you. If you buy the Stage 1 kit and install it yourself you'll save a bundle. And spend 50 bucks for the service manual, it's worth it's weight in gold.
Thanks for the advice guys.

Keep the comments coming