Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel wool on a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
You can use #0000 on chrome and it wont scratch it.
It scratched the crap out of my exhaust heat shield after I used it to remove a melted on micro-fiber rag. I'm now VERY careful with it.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperGlideRider
All our windshields come with the following caveat, which applies to ANY motorcycle windshield, regardless of manufacturer:

Caution
Do not clean acrylic or polycarbonate screens with common glass cleaners. The solvent action of the alcohol or ammonia will destroy the plastic. Do not allow brake fluid, alcohol (including Rain-X or similar agents), ammonia, or strong solvents to contact the screen, as permanent damage will result.

Long Term Storage
Do not use low quality vinyl, like old shower curtains, to store your motorcycle or your windshield. These products contain chemicals that damage the plastic of windshields and the motorcycle bodywork or fairing.

Good old soap and water (or an aftermarket cleaner specifically formulated for motorcycle windshields/helmet faceshields) is the best way to clean your bike's windshield.

Windex is for your grungy bathroom mirror.

Polycarbonate windshields that are hardcoated will react adversely to alcohol and ammonia. The chemically bonded hardcoating will "de-bond", resulting in the sunburned, peeling skin appearance of chemical breakdown.
This advise also holds true for your fancy non-glass lenses for eyeglasses, sunglasses, safety shields, headlights, etc, etc, etc

Ammonia (or ammonia based cleaners like windex w/ ammonia) is about the WORST thing you can do to these things....
Just ask the eye doctor for confirmation on the fastest way to KILL your spiffy new $400.00 coated eyeglasses.

Quality soaps made for coated lenses, denatured alcohol (NOT rubbing alcohol) or de-ionized water do exceptionally well.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
f4customs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGlideRider
All our windshields come with the following caveat, which applies to ANY motorcycle windshield, regardless of manufacturer:

Caution
Do not clean acrylic or polycarbonate screens with common glass cleaners. The solvent action of the alcohol or ammonia will destroy the plastic. Do not allow brake fluid, alcohol (including Rain-X or similar agents), ammonia, or strong solvents to contact the screen, as permanent damage will result.

Long Term Storage
Do not use low quality vinyl, like old shower curtains, to store your motorcycle or your windshield. These products contain chemicals that damage the plastic of windshields and the motorcycle bodywork or fairing.

Good old soap and water (or an aftermarket cleaner specifically formulated for motorcycle windshields/helmet faceshields) is the best way to clean your bike's windshield.

Windex is for your grungy bathroom mirror.

Polycarbonate windshields that are hardcoated will react adversely to alcohol and ammonia. The chemically bonded hardcoating will "de-bond", resulting in the sunburned, peeling skin appearance of chemical breakdown.
SuperGlideRider,
Typically all the above would be true, until now. Our windshields can be cleaned with Windex and a paper towel. Rain-X is okay too. Actually, part of our F4 windshield cleaner that we developed specifically for our shields is made with an alcohol base. They are a hardcoated polycarbonate at the end of the manufacturing process, but we are able, through that process, to seal the pores of the shield so the harsh chemicals can't get to the high optical polycarbonate to damage the shield.

Ride safe,

Dave Frank
Vice President
F4 Customs

Last edited by f4customs; 04-11-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Pushed enter before finishing.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a tinted ClearView Shield on a Yamaha RSV and had about 20k miles on the shield when I traded it for my Ultra Classic. The only problem I had with the shield was when it was raining. Couldn't hardly see nothing. The water just stuck to the shield or would blow over the lip and down the inside, however; I supposedly could use RainX on it which I did a couple of times but didn't help much. It would still roll over the lip and down the inside of the shield. I would have to stop after the rain to clean the inside of the shield, beings what the wind could not get to it to dry it.

I bought an F4 Customs 15 inch shield cause they advertise it to repel water and you only need windex and a paper towel to clean it. I have over a 1k miles with it and it is very easy to clean and does do an excellent job at repelling water without using RainX. So far, I'm very satisfied with the F4 shield. With the weather outside now, its gonna get another good test on the way home from work this afternoon.

SugsPa

Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 AM
f4customs
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4 Customs Windshield

Hard coating is only one factor of the F4 Customs windshield. F4 has the best Optics as we use the highest grade optics available. F4 sheds rain with not issue without applying any other product. Yes we clean it with "Windex" or any 'Harsh" cleaner even rubbing Alcohol as we seal our windshields and chemicals can not penetrate.
So Tough Steel wool won't scratch it but so much more.
F4 is a family owned business that is proud of its product and its customer service. Hope you will give it a try.
Check us out at www.f4customs.com