Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel wool on a windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
SuperGlideRider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.nationalcycle.com/WhyBuy/chapter4.html

You can trust the steel wool test. The picture shows an acrylic sample and a Quantum hardcoated polycarbonate sample, which are part of a kit we call the scratch'n'sniff test. We've sent out thousands of these sample kits to dealer around the world over the past five years, plus given them away at rallies around the country.

We actually pioneered the "steel wool test" to prove that our Quantum coating is vastly superior to other polycarbonate hardcoatings.

However, our first use of Quantum -- and our first torture test -- was for the Benelli Adiva scooter, marketed in Europe. It has a fully enclosed windshield with a windshield wiper. We tested Quantum by subjecting it to one million windshield wipes, and it did not scratch, abrade, or wear down.

We've advertised heavily about both the wiper test and the steel wool test over the past 7-8 years. F4 Customs then started showing up at trade shows with a piece of steel wool attached to a wiper blade.

So good for them. It saves a lot of elbow grease. I've worn callouses in my fingers demo'ing the steel wool test.

Herb Langston
National Cycle, Inc.
708-343-0400 x-137
www.nationalcycle.com

Old 09-27-2010, 03:07 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the window made out of? Acrylic is much harder to scratch but will shatter on impact (like with your face) since it is brittle. Polycarbonate is soft and will scatch (and yellow with time) but it is safe. You can hardcoat both types. Stick with polycarbonate for a windsheild.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
boblkat
Novice

yes its a f4 custom windsheild. Ive had one on mine for 4 years now and I love it. you can clean it with ALMOST anything at your fuel stops. I also used rain-x on it and neaver hurt it. Not that it needed rain-x it does the same as rain-x right out of the box. You will not go wrong buying this windsheild

Old 03-16-2011, 07:59 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use #0000 on chrome and it wont scratch it.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
You can use #0000 on chrome and it wont scratch it.

I wouldn't say that is much of a test.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
I wouldn't say that is much of a test.
Take it for what you will.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Mr Cujo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#0000 is what I use for polishing wood after I sand it down to 400 grit and burnish with shavings. I would guess it to be at least equivalent to 1500 grit or even finer. It can be used to restore glass..

It is also good for restoring and polishing metal, and when lubricated with proper products will do less damage to fine wood finishes than any other material and actually restore a polished surface.

I'd want to experiment on a plastic windshield first..

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't base my decision on buying a windshield of it not scratching from #0000 steel wool. If fact it would be low on the list of attributes of key features I would consider. I have a had a Clearview to 2 years / 20k miles and it does not have a scratch on it. I think I had some wear marks on a HD stock RK windshield from the windshield rubbing but you could not see it with the bag installed.

Just like the rest of my bike I am careful to use clean mico-fiber cloths and never clean without a detailer spray, or the like.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i am not sold on any of the windshields that have a hard coating. the reason being is if you end up with a scratch, you cannot polish it out like i can with my long ride shield. i have a friend with an older road king and his windshield is really ugly. a lot of the hard coating has worn off, and it reminds me of getting sunburned and peeling the next day. i'll stick with something i can polish out any imperfections from. i think my friend has used windex and that may have been what destroyed the hard coating.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 PM
SuperGlideRider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by emwolb
i am not sold on any of the windshields that have a hard coating. the reason being is if you end up with a scratch, you cannot polish it out like i can with my long ride shield. i have a friend with an older road king and his windshield is really ugly. a lot of the hard coating has worn off, and it reminds me of getting sunburned and peeling the next day. i'll stick with something i can polish out any imperfections from. i think my friend has used windex and that may have been what destroyed the hard coating.
All our windshields come with the following caveat, which applies to ANY motorcycle windshield, regardless of manufacturer:

Caution
Do not clean acrylic or polycarbonate screens with common glass cleaners. The solvent action of the alcohol or ammonia will destroy the plastic. Do not allow brake fluid, alcohol (including Rain-X or similar agents), ammonia, or strong solvents to contact the screen, as permanent damage will result.

Long Term Storage
Do not use low quality vinyl, like old shower curtains, to store your motorcycle or your windshield. These products contain chemicals that damage the plastic of windshields and the motorcycle bodywork or fairing.

Good old soap and water (or an aftermarket cleaner specifically formulated for motorcycle windshields/helmet faceshields) is the best way to clean your bike's windshield.

Windex is for your grungy bathroom mirror.

Polycarbonate windshields that are hardcoated will react adversely to alcohol and ammonia. The chemically bonded hardcoating will "de-bond", resulting in the sunburned, peeling skin appearance of chemical breakdown.

Quick Reply: Steel wool on a windshield?