Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip

I am looking for a bit taller shield for my 09 E. Glide as my 9.5" clearview with recurve is a bit short now that I have switched from a CC solo seat to a Mustang solo seat. I was going to order another clearview in 10.5" but thought about giving LRS a try as they are cheaper and ship time is far less.

Anyways, my question is since LRS are measured from the center hole to the top of the shield, how tall are the shields from the top of fairing to the top of shield (ie., will 11" actually be more like 10.25") when mounted? Also I see that LRS has a light, medium, and dark grey tint. I currently have the dark grey Clearview, but from the pictures it looks like LRS's medium gray is the same as CV's dark gray... is that correct? Is the dark gray from LRS really dark (they look almost black on the website). I really like the shade I have now and don't want to go any darker, but don't really want lighter either. I called LRS yesterday and left a message, but have not heard back yet.

Sorry for the long question, thanks for the help in advance!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyways, my question is since LRS are measured from the center hole to the top of the shield, how tall are the shields from the top of fairing to the top of shield (ie., will 11" actually be more like 10.25") when mounted? Also I see that LRS has a light, medium, and dark grey tint. I currently have the dark grey Clearview, but from the pictures it looks like LRS's medium gray is the same as CV's dark gray... is that correct? Is the dark gray from LRS really dark (they look almost black on the website). I really like the shade I have now and don't want to go any darker, but don't really want lighter either. I called LRS yesterday and left a message, but have not heard back yet.

Sorry for the long question, thanks for the help in advance![/QUOTE]

Maybe this will help. I just got my 11" LRS Ultra shield in light tint two days ago. I am riding the same bike as you with a stock seat and I am 6'2" with 36" inseam. I went to this shield from a HD 10" clear shield. I wanted a little less buffeting and hopeful that the wife would have less also. I LOVE this new shield. The tint looks great and it's not enough to hamper view but cuts glare from the road. It put the top just under my line of sight straight down the road in front of me which was where I wanted it. And the bottom of the draft moved from the top of my helmet to about 4" above it. By the way, I'm not sure if it matters but they were great to deal with, I ordered online Sunday and it was at my door Thursday.
As for the tint, I can't compare to the Clearview because I'm not familiar with theirs but maybe these photos will help and the first one shows that the height from the top of fairing to top of shield is actually 10.75".

Attached Thumbnails Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip-dscf4295.jpg   Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip-dscf4297.jpg   Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip-dscf4298.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 04:27 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sargergp

Sorry for the long question, thanks for the help in advance!
Maybe this will help. I just got my 11" LRS Ultra shield in light tint two days ago. I am riding the same bike as you with a stock seat and I am 6'2" with 36" inseam. I went to this shield from a HD 10" clear shield. I wanted a little less buffeting and hopeful that the wife would have less also. I LOVE this new shield. The tint looks great and it's not enough to hamper view but cuts glare from the road. It put the top just under my line of sight straight down the road in front of me which was where I wanted it. And the bottom of the draft moved from the top of my helmet to about 4" above it. By the way, I'm not sure if it matters but they were great to deal with, I ordered online Sunday and it was at my door Thursday.
As for the tint, I can't compare to the Clearview because I'm not familiar with theirs but maybe these photos will help and the first one shows that the height from the top of fairing to top of shield is actually 10.75".[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pics. That shield is really straight on the sides...

Old 09-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics. That shield is really straight on the sides...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed that too when I layed the HD 10" on top of it for comparison before installing. It gives a little wider coverage at the top that way. So far with about 50 miles of west Texas weather at highway speeds it doesn't appear to handle any different than the previous shield.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:30 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default light and med grey diff

I've got the light grey Ultra which I really like even though I look over for the most part but nice when in traffic and stopping. U can see thru the Med grey also but I think I like the light better. If you want I can attach view fr. front also.

Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip-dsc01369.jpg

Question for those running Long Ride Shield Ultra flip-dsc01368.jpg

Last edited by gmc; 09-25-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gmc
I've got the light grey Ultra which I really like even though I look over for the most part but nice when in traffic and stopping. U can see thru the Med grey also but I think I like the light better. If you want I can attach view fr. front also.

Attachment 141193

Attachment 141194
Yeah, it'd be great to see a front view. What size is your shield?