Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
You wanna avoid the clunk, then when you stop your bike at the end of a ride, put it in first, then when you start it up, start it w/the clutch in and you will never have the clunk, simple enough...
That's what I have learned to do. I get a little forward lunge but that's the clutch plates disengaging.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:52 PM
not2kool
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a Harley! If you want quiet and smoothe get a Wing.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,267 Likes on 2,489 Posts

so to throw a wrench into the works, mobil1 says not to use gl5 gear oil in a tranny that has 'yellow metal' ie. brass, etc. our tranny fits right in there. not a lot, but some.

mobil1 is gl5, amsoil is gl5, just about every gear oil i've looked at is gl5. so what to do?

mobil1 vtwin 20/50 is not gl5 (since it isn't gear oil...) but is rated for our trannies and is close in viscosity. i think i will use that.

i don't know how quickly (or long) it will take for the gl5 to do any damage, but i'd rather not chance it.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I drained the Amsoil and put Redline in I noticed an immediate improvement.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
so to throw a wrench into the works, mobil1 says not to use gl5 gear oil in a tranny that has 'yellow metal' ie. brass, etc. our tranny fits right in there. not a lot, but some.

mobil1 is gl5, amsoil is gl5, just about every gear oil i've looked at is gl5. so what to do?

mobil1 vtwin 20/50 is not gl5 (since it isn't gear oil...) but is rated for our trannies and is close in viscosity. i think i will use that.

i don't know how quickly (or long) it will take for the gl5 to do any damage, but i'd rather not chance it.

I'm curious about that. Where did that "yellow metal" info come from? I'd be very interested to read it since I've been using GL5 not only in my bikes but most of my heavy equipment. All of them have "yellow metal" and none of them have had any issues or problems.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
scheduler
Tourer

I use redline and I like the results but only had hd dino and amsoil
to compare to.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will putting the heavier gear oils in the tranny affect the HD warranty?
It still puzzles me why they would spec.the lighter stuff to begin with

Old 09-24-2010, 08:26 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GJS-53
Will putting the heavier gear oils in the tranny affect the HD warranty?
It still puzzles me why they would spec.the lighter stuff to begin with
They would have a difficult time proving a 75W140 synthetic gear lube caused tranny failure.

Local Indy carries the Redline but swears by Bel-Ray syn gear lube so I bought and installed that. Maybe he just needed to "move" it but works great. Still have clunk but not as loud, both bikes shift super smooth and it nearly eliminated her 07 RKC 5th gear whine.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The clunk is caused by the input shaft is spinning when the gear is selected- clutch is not fully disengaged.
If your primary oil level is too high it can/ will cause the clutch to drag causing the clunk. Improperly adjusted clutch will can cause the clunk. Heres another thing you can try, especially when cold, after the engine is started and the clutch lever is in, wait a couple of seconds before you drop the shifter, give the clutch plates a moment to seperate. It works if everthing else is correct.

Note: Starting the bike in gear with the cluch in works but adds load the the starter motor.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:27 AM
NAUIdvr1
Tourer

I just switched from Amsoil to Redline today. Wow, what a big difference. I have been using Amsoil in all my things for 20+ years, and you never could have told me that there was something better - I was proved wrong in this application.

I put Redline V-Twin Primary Chaincase Oil in the Primary, and Redline ShockProof Heavy in the Transmission. The bike shifts smoother (like butter), can find Neutral every time.

There is still the clunk going from Neutral to 1st, if you don't wait about 5-10 seconds after pulling in the clutch lever. But if you do wait, there is no clunk at all - I wasn't even sure I had it in 1st gear the first time I did this!

Quick Reply: Transmission Oil