Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tourpack LED lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tourpack LED lifespan

My friend has a 2000 RG (you may see another post about the same bike in the forum in regard to an oil leak, its the same bike)

He has a tourpack spoiler, and the some of the LED lights will just die. He has had the whole lightbar on the Spoiler replaced a few times. The LED's are supposed to last hundreds of hours, and other vehicles use em just fine. Also, he can't pass inspection whenever any of the lights are out.

I also have the HD spoiler on my tourpack, and haven't had any issues in 5000mi. He says that that was when he started seeing having the problem. Anybody have similar experiences with the LEDs on the spoiler? Right now, I'm leaning toward it being an electrical issue...unless others here have seen it happen, I don't think its a defect with the spoiler, but the bike itself may have elec. problems.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tourpack LED lifespan

This does not speak to the HD spoiler, but I have had Kuryakyn tail light/brake light LED failures. I spoke with them after instralling the LED Tru Sphere bulb run/brake/flash unit on my 96 FLHTCI. New Brake/tail light bulb white LEDs expired like Fire flies in the jar. Tech support stated they had a 'bad batch' (Chinese made, just fact, no stigma). I got another and the pin fell off the low pin side on install and no work, NG, expired Parrot. One more phone call and they politely and with all true concern for a customer, send two more gratus. Only prob, no white LEDS that last more than a few k's of mileage. No license plate light, but maybe that ain't bad. I am going back to Edison bulbs.

The Turn sig Tru Sphere LEDs won't flash 4 way in sync either. That may be a black box prob. High Ho Silver and High tech Away...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
saidin43
Cruiser

It is really strange that they should fail like that, especially since its mostly just circuitry, not a glowing filament, so you'd think they'd be more resistant to adverse conditions. Problem is, I don't know of any people that have it except him and I, and I haven't had trouble yet, but it's good to get another person who has trouble with the tech in general...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:32 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your friend speechless?

Old 09-13-2006, 11:59 AM
saidin43
Cruiser

lol, no he just isn't as tech savvy so I'm inquiring for him on the forums. He's actually the one who got his whole family into riding, and they went with HD , and he go me into riding too, so I wanna give him a hand on some of the research on this

Old 09-13-2006, 12:28 PM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is another source of info about LEDs in general on WebBikeWorld. It is a subscription based review source, but you can guest-check on it. LEDs are somewhat like 'Neon' lights, only in the sense that the magic ingredient, Neon ,Argon, etc changes the color od the light emitted. Kuraykyn tech support had stated the white LEDs were the lights which were having problems in the two color Brake/tail light Tru phere. Oddly enough, it is the bulb that has no listing for any replacements.