Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS - Real life experiences - how well do they really work

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
motorlessons
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xzotik
My 2010 FLTRX has ABS, which engages fairly frequently, even on dry pavement. Had it back to the dealer, who told me that's normal. Kinda scary, since the bike lurches before brake engages.
On a 2010, you should have the latest ABS download in your ECM. If your motor was a very early 2010 it would be worth having this confirmed.

Once that's done, so you know you've got the right program, take an hour and work on a couple things in your favorite big, open, well-paved lot or area.

From your description I suspect you're getting a lot of front ABS activations (that "surge" feeling you describe is the key there). If you came off of an older H-D, with the previous brakes, that's contributing to your problem. What you are experiencing is not so much an ABS issue, as an issue with the better Brembo brakes.

It sounds like you're doing what you should be doing, which is using your front brake for most of your braking. and you're likely even using the proper technique for front braking, where you're squeezing the lever and then progressing your squeeze. HOWEVER, if you're coming off an earlier H-D, or another motor with average brakes, it's causing a problem for you.

The problem is this. The amount of lever pull that would get you a good amount of initial braking (the amount you need to get weight transfer, thus allowing your further progression) on the old brakes is simply too much on the Brembos. Since the Brembos are much better, they genterate that amount of stopping force with less lever pull. You should still use the same technique (all four fingers on the lever), and you should still use a "squeeze and progress"application. The only thing to change is how much force you use for the initial squeeze.

Once you've got the weight transfer initiated by the initial squeeze, your progression stage is the same as it's always been, continue to apply front brake to increase the stopping force without either locking the wheel, or activating ABS. Once you get the hang of it, this is where the Brembos really shine. Properly applied they generate an unbelievable amount of stopping force.

If my assumptions are incorrect (as is often the case) and you're getting a lot of rear ABS activations, consider whether you're tending to either over-use the rear brake, or "stabbing" at it with your foot.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Last edited by motorlessons; 09-24-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM
jjohnson77536
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On wet pavement it kept me from skidding into the car in front of me. ABS on this bike and any future one. Thumbs up for you Harris! Excellent info!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:30 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

"believe the 1st generation had a linked system. When you cranked on the front, it also engaged the rear...then if you press the rear, the system disables (by design).

The new generation (09+) uses a true independent system so no disabling happens in a panic stop.

This was a selling point to me since I know my habits. If I have a panic I am on both brakes instinctually. If I had 08 and earlier I would disable my system.+

(08's are not linked at all they are like the 09+ except for some different languge in the programing.)

Old 09-24-2010, 04:53 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Harris- Thanks for the most excellent writeup. I'm in the process of self training with "Ride Like a Pro V" and your info will become a component part of that package.

I have copied your posts into "Word" as one document as a keeper and would like to see that done as a 'sticky' here (if the ADMIN would please do so).

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM
SUPRPIG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a poll on ABS previously and the results were that ABS was preferred, and that many wished they had it. Many of the nay-sayers weren't necessarily against it... they just didn't want to pay the extra cost. That I understand. Just like in gunfights... "you can't plan for every eventuality". I use to race a corvette, and set a road corse track record which as far as I know still stands. I had and used ABS to my advantage. On MY EGC I have had a few occassions where it kicked in and honestly, I suspect (loose surface material) if I hadn't, I would have gone down and be posting on how to put your bagger back up. Knock on wood.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:12 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
62 feet from the beginning to the opening. 69 feet to the barricade. I've run this exercise probably a thousand times, and to this day, when I'm at the entry at 40 MPH coming in there's a moment when it doesn't seem like there's enough room to get it slowed.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
It is even more exciting at 45mph lol. I am a retired motor and of course like all competitive things we would eventually bump up the speeds from 40mph until it was no longer possible to complete the excersice.

Being you are from Denver I wonder if we may have had the same instructor or if you have heard of Andy Campbell. He would set up his brake and escape so the finish chute was about 10 feet from the end of the parking lot and when he set up our course there was a wooden fence so no room for error. talk about pucker factor. Not saying it was wise but it did require proper braking technique to prevent breaking technique.

I did not like the first generation abs when it came out in 05 or 06 (we were one of the first departments to get them delivered according to the police harley rep to act as a test bed) but the latest generation is very nice. we had 6 of the frist abs bikes and each one acted differently and engaged at different points. One of the bikes which happen to be the one I was assigned to was the worst and harley could never get the bugs worked out even tho they sent a rep to check it out thinking it was a bleed problem. Some times abs would activate properly and some times the brake lever would just go mush like air in the system.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

I believe Andy was (is?) with either Salt Lake City, or the Utah Highway Patrol. I've not met him, but certainly know people who know him.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by motorlessons
I believe Andy was (is?) with either Salt Lake City, or the Utah Highway Patrol. I've not met him, but certainly know people who know him.

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown
Utah HP. Andy was an incredible rider and instructor. I remember on day 1 of the course he told us that he had a 40% pass rate which he said he thought was pretty good. I first thought he was joking and soon realized he was serious. I swear up until the last day I did not know if I was going to make it or not. Then on the last day it all fell into place. I was with my riding partner and he was thinking the same as me and once it clicked for me within an hour it clicked for him. I think our class did a little better then 40% but it was still about 60% is all. I felt very fortunate to learn from the best.
I can do the side saddle but what was really impressive is Andy and one of his partners could do the same thing on one bike. one running clutch the other throttle. The other thing that was mind blowing to me anyway was the bike over on its side and ride it up and away.

Last edited by mtclassic; 09-24-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

My thanks to everyone who has posted here. I did do a search before I posted and was not really finding what I wanted - However, great info here and I thank everyone -

I agree, Harris's post should be made into a sticky - it really helps to understand and this is why I wanted to hear from people who have had real life exp with the ABS - Looks like HD has been learning and improving.

Looks like I can see a new bike in the future

Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 PM
cda7333
Intermediate

I have ABS on my 10 ultra. It works great! Has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion.

Quick Reply: ABS - Real life experiences - how well do they really work