Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Start problem Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
chopperglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Start problem Help!!!

Hello everyone!!! I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, My 10 SG has a weird problem.

Some times when I try to start, the ignition is in the correct place, the button is on run, power is on, light is on radio is on but button does nothing until…
I turn bars to the left.

It only happens when the bars are straight or turned right. With the button pressed it’s like secrete starting.
Push button nothing, turn bars to left it starts, this did happen more frequent and seems to be fixing itself!!!!
Hard to find because it does not happen all the time, all wires seem to be connected and not pulling.
The switch housing connections are good. I am stumped.

I did build a 77 and 86 HD from frame up and understand “a little” about simple wiring but this thing has a lot of computer stuff. Is there a check cycle or something it’s missing? if this leaves me stuck is there a safe place to jump with a wire or will I fry the harness? Any clues would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

start checking continuity on the wire from the switch, seen a few cases of the wires cracking inside the jacket.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
chopperglide
Advanced

Thank you! Tried it and unfortunately I have not/ can not tested it when the problem happens as it comes and goes.
If I get off the bike and test it then the darn button works… every time I test to the relay I jigged the bars, removed the front part of the bat wing and wiggled the wires with the button pushed. Can’t duplicate the problem. But it does happen sometime 3-4 x a day sometimes not.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am assuming that it is still under warranty? If so, I'd make it the dealer's problem.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 PM
chopperglide
Advanced

Yep warranty still, but when they have it the problem does not happen! Anybody have the wiring diagram?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperglide
Yep warranty still, but when they have it the problem does not happen! Anybody have the wiring diagram?
I know it's a hassle, but keep taking back to the dealer, and make sure you get it documented for future ref. It could get expensive, i.e. wiring harness switches etc. Can't help on the wiring diagram.