Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: buy another bike or put more money in the bagger
buy a sportsbike
69.84%
make my current bike go fast
30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Do i just keep pouring money in the bagger or just by another bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just want to be able to ride hard and not be scared of beating up the bagger cause im trying to get more out of it than it can give. I want to keep it for ever and to be honest, i may not like the uncomfortable ride of the sportsbike. I have only sat on them. never took them around the block or anything. but i do know i want more speed

Old 09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

if i dump all of the money in the bagger, i will sacrifice its touring ability, if i try to make a tourer out of the sport bike, that will be a major cluster.....

Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If 3-4K is your spending point, I'd say find your self a used Sportbike and have fun. If I had an extra 3-4K I could see it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM
AK BAGGER
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
Now BAGGER what i dont need is to crash and burn doing 180. Im talkin an easy 150 on the highway with no innocent bystanders. Maybe a couple trackdays to strengthen my skills.
My Hayabusa is as stable at 180mph as the Harley is at 90. And yeah... Well educated riding is a must on a bike like that. But as with any sportbike. It will only go as fast as you make it go.

If you are over 170lbs, I recommend avoiding the 600's. They are great fun, but you will find yourself looking for more after 1 season. At minimum, I recommend a Gixxer 750, A 1000cc bike is very do-able as long as you give it its due respect (and a little fear...lol!). It took me three solid seasons before I was able to tap into the Hayabusas' full potential.

Last edited by AK BAGGER; 09-23-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
In10SS
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll weigh in on this one. Go get a used GSXR750 for about the same money as a top notch build. More power that a 600 but about the same size. It will do everything you want. 150 hp and well under 400 lbs. Your touring bike is at a good place power wise but will never be a sport bike. You can enjoy more than 1 type of riding, especially at your young age.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gasneed85low
dollarbill, I dont ride with or have a lot of friends my age. I ride with my dad, uncles, and their friends. Im finally making enough money to keep up with them but i have a need for speed quite unlike theirs. I dont get me wrong, some of them are running 117" and 124" and thats good hp/tq for harleys but we all know what a sportsbike does the the majority of harleys for 1/3 of the money. In order to go bigger i have to start spending some major coin just to get 15-20 more horses and ill still get hosed next to a bike that cost $4k and i just spent $7k on performance alone. Its starting to not make cents. Big inches is extra bragging rights for the fellas and not for getting out there on the road riding 700-800 miles in a stretch.
Uh, you just answered your own question. Keep the bagger for touring, & get something with more "sport" for the fast times.

'Course I do know a guy with a really BIG inch EVO style motor & a turbo jammed into an FXR frame. Not much for long road rides, but it's a Harley that a lot of sport bikes hide from.........

Old 09-23-2010, 08:09 PM
yljkt
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your pockets are deep enough, find a clean XR 1000 and throw some cash at it. Still a Harley, still a pisser to ride, and no one has one.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by In10SS
I'll weigh in on this one. Go get a used GSXR750 for about the same money as a top notch build. More power that a 600 but about the same size. It will do everything you want. 150 hp and well under 400 lbs. Your touring bike is at a good place power wise but will never be a sport bike. You can enjoy more than 1 type of riding, especially at your young age.
You're on the mark regarding those 600's, they suck to ride except at full song.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master

Originally Posted by yljkt
If your pockets are deep enough, find a clean XR 1000 and throw some cash at it. Still a Harley, still a pisser to ride, and no one has one.
theres a place by me that wants 20k for their xr1000. it only has 7k on the clock. but i cant spend that type of dough.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Having put well over 50,000 miles on a ZX-6R, I'll disagree. You can toss a 600 around easier than a larger bike, and you can use more of it's potential. Liter bikes are great fun, but will bite you in the *** if you get sloppy.

A modern 600 will quarter mile in the low 11s. You're not going to need much more on the street, and if you know how to ride the thing, you'll mop the floor with the bigger bikes in the corners.

Quick Reply: Do i just keep pouring money in the bagger or just by another bike