Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deepest Exhaust Snarl

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010 | 01:22 PM
hougz79
|
Road Warrior
Default Deepest Exhaust Snarl

Ok, I know sound is subjective, and I know to go to your local bike night...

But where I'm from everyone just goes to the local HD shop and puts on SE accessories.

So I am looking for In Your Opinion, the best combo for DEEP exhaust note and still have that "Harley Snarl" when you get on the gas.

I am looking at V&H Power Duals for headers. So far the front runners are:

4" Rinehart
V&H Twin Slash Oval
V&H High Output Slipons
CFR
Kuryakyn Crushers?
Kerker?

Please sound off with opinions. I am not looking for "obnoxious loud" but deep and throaty are my two biggest concerns.

I like the way bigger cans look on the back of baggers, so right now the 4" Rineharts and Twin Slash Ovals are kind of leading the pack to me, I am unfamilliar with CFR, but from what I have heard on YouTube I am impressed.

Old 09-23-2010 | 01:42 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master

My Thunderheader snarls pretty good, but it sounds like you wanna keep the dual pipes.

Old 09-23-2010 | 01:46 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hougz79
Ok, I know sound is subjective, and I know to go to your local bike night...

But where I'm from everyone just goes to the local HD shop and puts on SE accessories.

So I am looking for In Your Opinion, the best combo for DEEP exhaust note and still have that "Harley Snarl" when you get on the gas.

I am looking at V&H Power Duals for headers. So far the front runners are:

4" Rinehart
V&H Twin Slash Oval
V&H High Output Slipons
CFR
Kuryakyn Crushers?
Kerker?

Please sound off with opinions. I am not looking for "obnoxious loud" but deep and throaty are my two biggest concerns.

I like the way bigger cans look on the back of baggers, so right now the 4" Rineharts and Twin Slash Ovals are kind of leading the pack to me, I am unfamilliar with CFR, but from what I have heard on YouTube I am impressed.
I just bought a set of V&H monster rounds but I haven't installed them yet.

I was at the HD shop the other day and 2 of the service guys had the V&H hi-output monster rounds on their bikes. They sounded nice and low and really woke up on throttle. They are huge at the rear and they stick out 5 or 6 inches past the bags.

I bought the regular monster rounds because I didn't want quite as large. I think they're 1/2 inch smaller although I haven't measured to compare.

A friend of mine has CFRs and they sound great BUT he had issues when he had his bike tuned. Some guys say they are too open and hard to tune so you have to install the correct baffles. JMO (second hand).

I went with a complete V&H set-up because I believe it will be easier to find a TTS map for that hardware. Also, V&H makes very nice pipes and mufflers that really work for a good balance of power and sound.

So . . .

There you have my opinion.

Last edited by sifularson; 09-23-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 01:48 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

On my 2010 RK, I previously ran Bub 7 Stealths and stock head pipes for almost 30,000 miles. I wanted to open up the head pipes and add some sound.

I just put Dresser Duals and Monster Rounds on last week.

I really like the sound of the MOs. Coming from a "quiet" exhaust I thought it might be too loud. But the Monster Rounds have a nice deep sound and when throttled down don't attract unwanted attention.

Crack the throttle and they really light up. Nice, strong bark and good tone. Once I hit highway speed and flip the cruise control on they fade out perfect, no annoying drone.

Last edited by Toypuller; 09-23-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 01:52 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thunderheader makes slip-ons.

Old 09-23-2010 | 02:06 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Unless you are willing to lose that low-end torque you have with your 2-1 system, consider a V&H Pro Pipe in chrome. Put one on the wife's 2010 SG, runs great and very smooth. Nice rumble, loud when you want....

Old 09-23-2010 | 02:09 PM
KCMooose
Advanced

I just put V&H Pro Pipes on my 2010 SG. I'm incredibly impressed with the growl. It's not the popping that my buddy has with slip on Rineharts. Also, when I let off the throttle and let the tranny slow me, it sounds even better.

Old 09-23-2010 | 02:10 PM
apolo07
Intermediate

I recently put Vance and Hines twin slash ovals and power duals on my 09 RKC, deep sound and really opens up when you crack the throttle open. Also have a 103 stage two kit and that also makes it sound better too.

Old 09-23-2010 | 02:42 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser

The deepest exhaust sound I've ever heard is from my Rush 2 1/4" baffle slip-ons... getting a good growl now that I've put a few hundred miles on them

Old 09-23-2010 | 03:22 PM
hougz79
|
Road Warrior

Thank you for the replies, keep em coming!

I'm not 100% ruling out 2:1, I just like the look of duals more. The V&H Pro Pipe Chrome does sound fantastic, and it's a damn steal monetarily, I'm just not a huge fan of it's looks....but it is slowly growing on me.

Quick Reply: Deepest Exhaust Snarl