Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found out why h-d of crete is closing

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rerb95
well just too stir up th epot, I heard from a HD store owner that the remaining two dealerships to close are Lake Shore, and Chicago Harley.... might be a rumor, but man, that amazes me!
chicago harley in glenview ain't going anywhere GUARANTEED, you need a hew insider.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leohd
chicago harley in glenview ain't going anywhere GUARANTEED, you need a hew insider.
Funny that I was reading about dealerships that have closed and 2 of them that "were not going anywhere" have closed or sold, both in the Chicagoland area.
Chicago H-D & Conrad's both sold

Old 08-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Buying 7 new bikes in my lifetime wasn't enough?

One big problem for dealerships is that they have no pricing power. Customers tend to come in to check out the bikes, take a test ride, pump the sales people for information and service department too.

They they price shop all around town and the internet. What ever shop comes up the cheapest gets the sale. Great for Harley who sells the same number of bikes, but how in the heck can the dealership stay in business if his profit is cut to the bone.

You guys can be brutal : >) (me too, sometimes)

Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM, Chrysler & Ford did the same thing a few years back. Only wanted so many dealers in a area. Closed a lot of long time small dealers. Ford pulled the plug on the first dealer to sell Shelbys back in the '60s, a large multi line dealer had a deal to buy it, remodel and keep it open. Ford allowed two dealers on each side of it to buy and close it. Put a lot folks out of work.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhfguy
No it was greed, greed and more greed... (North American energy costs are still a bargain compared to much of the rest of the world.)
It may be a bargain but most of "the rest of the world" doesn't have the natural energy resources or refineries that we are fortunate enough to have here in America. Too bad the current knuckleheads in charge won't tap into the supply.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t059736
I guess poor engineering, below grade parts, terrible service and an overpriced product would have nothing to do with HD sales, would it?

And after writing that; consider how most of the STEALERSHIPS treat owners of these bikes!

Just my thoughts.....

Ride In Peace
I have to agree 100% with your statements. I've owned four Harley's since 2002 and my '10 Ultra seems to have had way more than it's share of problems, considerably more problems than the total of all the issues on the first three bikes combined. So part of the above equation has to take into account that while I may keep my Harley for many more years to come, there will never be a fifth check made out to my local Harley dealer. I've spent more than $100k with Harley since 2002 and I just spent half a day pissing my time away, trying to fix a transmission seal leak because the bottom two bolts weren't properly torqued. Not a big deal, except it's almost impossible to properly torque them down without removing the entire exhaust to get access to them. People who spend half as much for their Hyundai or Kia cars as we do on our Harley's get better reliability and service.

Last edited by UltraClassicElectraGlide; 08-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean... sign of the times.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:03 PM
01fxdxt
Stellar HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
lean manufacturing , most maufacturer"s are doing some form of its the college boy buzz word. they want no inventory they want it sold b4 it leaves the line less units =more demand per unit,kinda like the late 80"s when u had to get on a waiting list and pay over msrp.
Haha Lean manufacturing.If you work for a manufacturer who is going through this ,Bail now!I worked for a company that was around 150 years old that started this.They spent millions on this crap.The mother co.finally shut it down citing cost of operating in USA.We workers claim lean stood for:Less employees are needed.