Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found out why h-d of crete is closing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

My dealer told me they could sell the chit out of the Road Glide Ultra.
But they only got one in August and are only getting one in October.

They could sell the crap out of the Trike too, but they can't get them either.
Whose falt is that?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hdblk2003
not sure about phone orders...I will find out today.Its on my home
I have known the owner for 5 years.Good guy he is but leohd you are right about 2 sides of the story
I live real close to them too. Dyer.

hdblk2003,
Do you know Brian at Valley Racing (in your town of Beecher)?

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You hit the nail on the head!!! Energy touches everything - death by a thousand paper cuts. That was the start. When the economy slowed the gov pushed for houses for everyone to pick the economy up. All went south from there!!

Jim

Originally Posted by valvestem
Thank the economy, and blame all the windbags in Washington who got us in this mess. Look back to where it all started...high energy costs.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:20 PM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petemac
I'm amazed that the mom and pop HD dealer near me is still in business. It dates back to the 40's/50's and is the size of a shoe box with a very small service area. I've heard for years that the MOCO was on them to expand and modernize the place. Hell, it's not ever called XYZ Harley Davidson, it's called XYZ's Cycle Shop. And.....they don't even have a web page. Weird dealer.

Wonder if they're on the list of dealers to be cut down the road.
There is a dealer in Nutterfort, WV that sells lawn mowers along with Harley's. That place has been there for years. I picked up my first Harley there in 1989 and the place was ancient then.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think there is a little karma involved here too..........

Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
hdblk2003
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes faast ed. I know brian and his dad at Valley Racing for about 5 years now.Great tuner.He knows Jamie at Fuel Moto. Brian has taken away some of Cretes service bizzness. He also has done some work for them when crete got real busy are when Crete had something they could not figure out.
If I was Calumet h-d i would send Marion at crete a thank you card because they will pick up alot of bizz.... Faast Ed what is you impression of Calumet?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hdblk2003
yes faast ed. I know brian and his dad at Valley Racing for about 5 years now.Great tuner.He knows Jamie at Fuel Moto. Brian has taken away some of Cretes service bizzness. He also has done some work for them when crete got real busy are when Crete had something they could not figure out.
If I was Calumet h-d i would send Marion at crete a thank you card because they will pick up alot of bizz.... Faast Ed what is you impression of Calumet?
I'm not real impressed with Calumet's service department. I only go there if I need a part quickly to finish a project. They are not known for happy service customers. Nothing like Crete. Crete had a reputable service department.

I've known Brian approx the same 5 years as you. Great guy. He does all of my tuning. Matter of fact, he was doing some tuning for Crete.
Roley is a heluva guy too! Gotta love his pop machine.
I spent a Saturday with Brian and his dyno one slow winter day. Did some "sperimentin'". LOL Had a blast and learned a lot!

Old 09-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So funny thing... Local HD here is closing October 15th. Guess what i heard from behind the scenes in that one as well.... same exact thing! HD is closing out up to 150 locations in the next year and a half. This one was a great place, top 4 east coast dealers at one time.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you have a dealer who is actually selling many bikes, why cut the number of bikes they will get per year. I can understand a slow selling dealer being cut, but to cut shipments to one that is doing well is bad business.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:56 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For all the Cali haters. We haven't lost em. Heck we have more dealers in 3 counties than most states have combined.

I do agree with the karma statement though. This is why Wally World is doing so dang good. They learned to appeal to more than one demographic group. MOCO might start thinking about it.

But.....maybe they want to play the supply and demand game like the oil guru's do.

Quick Reply: I found out why h-d of crete is closing