Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Road King...handlebar ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New 2010 Road King... some questions

Hey all, not new to bikes, but new to HD, I just got a beautiful 2010 Road King in black, and absolutely love how it handles, but need to take care of a few "need" mods before starting on the "wants."

So I've searched and found that the RK extended reach and the Heritage handle bars are both good choices for the RK... has anyone tried both and like one over the other? Can I install these myself, or should I have the shop do it? I don't want to get new cables, but I think both don't require new cables correct? I'm 5'8" and could really use the extra reach to be able to sit upright and comfortable.

Also, has anyone cut down the windshield? The edge is right in my line of sight and things look a little warped, really annoying... I think cutting it down about 1.5-2" would be perfect. Can any glass shop do this?

I'm also getting the stand extension to make it easier to reach and retract the stand.

Also, would changing the oil myself affect warranty?

Is the 1000 mile service required to be done by the dealer? Is it worth having the dealer do it?

Another stupid question: are the valves self adjusting?

Sorry for the lame questions...

Thanks!

Last edited by caberto; 09-21-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I felt your pain when I bought my 08. I tried two different bars and the ones that fit me perfect, now, are the Khromewerks +2 sweepers. FYI, I'm about your height and they fit me perfect. +2 is up and back 2". Since I've done the full batwing fairing on my bike I had to go +4 on the clutch cable, but you may not have to change it at all with a shield. Yes, my bike is a Road King Classic under all that dressing.

As for the shield, I didn't bother cutting it, rather I went with a Memphis Shades 17" direct replacement shield for HD's. It was a perfect fit as well. It's a 3" drop and you look right over the top, and the shield is of much better quality than the HD shield. Look around and you may find them on sale, I got mine for about $70 in light smoke tint.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:31 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat is much easier to install than the bars, but both are relatively simple. Although the bars can present some difficulty depending on your skill level...

Check to see if the '10s have already been updated from the factory. I believe I read there was a change some where along the line. But no, if you do install them there should be no change in cables or brake lines. There's usually enough slack to make them work. Some one else with a '10 will prolly answer later...

There is an article from some one who just did a cut windshield last week, I think. Don't recall which section...

Changing the oil and doing the 1000 mile service shouldn't pose a prob with the warranty, but have heard of some dealers insisting that they would not accept further work from the customer if they weren't allowed to do it. Again, somebody else will prolly chime in on that too...

No, the valves are not self adjusting. The lifters are hydraulic, with solid push rods. Unless you install adjustable pushrods, (or the MoCo has changed it), there is no adjustment in the valve train other than replacing parts.

Congrats on the new ride, and welcome to HDF! You will soon meet many people who know much more than myself...

Old 09-21-2010, 12:33 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just changed my stock handlebars to Heritage bars. Love them. Best bang for the $65 spent.
Found after changing bars I see over the windshield perfectly now from sitting more upright. So don't cut windshield till after the bars get changed.. I too found the windshield in the same place as you before the bar change. If you're looking to change the seat, that too will change your position at the windshield line..
Changing the bars is a piece of cake. Protect the rest of your ride while working on the bars.

Last edited by upstate tim; 09-21-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Heritage Bars on my '01 and went with the Memphis Shades 15" shield....all is well.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

19" Memphis Shades gradient blue windshield with HD Screaming Eagle Fat Bars. Way better than stock, more relaxed riding feel, no pain in upper back, etc...

Attached Thumbnails New to Road King...handlebar ?-sunday14.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the replies so far! Those memphis shades are a great idea! I like the idea of tinted shields also... I'm thinking the 17" would be just right. I'll have to measure.

I think I'll go with the heritage bars... I've replaced handlebars in the past, on a V-Star 1300, I hope this isn't much more difficult. I'll probably change the grips while I'm at it... are the grips hard to replace since the throttle is "fly-by-wire?"

Old 09-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
Thanks for the replies so far! Those memphis shades are a great idea! I like the idea of tinted shields also... I'm thinking the 17" would be just right. I'll have to measure.

I think I'll go with the heritage bars... I've replaced handlebars in the past, on a V-Star 1300, I hope this isn't much more difficult. I'll probably change the grips while I'm at it... are the grips hard to replace since the throttle is "fly-by-wire?"
Here is a good guide: http://www.moccsplace.com/images/harley/hbar/hbar.htm

Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 PM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had the same issue you had with the bars. love the King but couldn't get comfortable with the stock bars. finally took the plunge and made a BIG change and went with 16" apes. I was pretty versus when I dropped the bike off at the dealership to do the job as it wasn't cheap. Gotta say, one of the best mods I have done to a motorcycle to date! I held the extended reach bars and the heritage bars up to my bike before I made my decision and didn't feel that would change my fit THAT much. So I rolled with the 16's.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 PM
jasons
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Heritage Style Bars. What a wonderful change. The nice thing is you don't have to do anything fancy with cables etc to install. So it is just the cost of the bars and an hour labor (or your own to install). I love the look of some of the other bars out there but could not stomach the $$$ to "see if they worked". This was a good compromise in my mind. The pain in my shoulders was gone!

Quick Reply: New to Road King...handlebar ?