Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Road King...handlebar ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had just had an Heritage bars installed and love them! Much more comfortable than the stock bars. I really like the Sundowner seat that I bought a while back too. Here's a pic of the Heritage bars on my bike.

Attached Thumbnails New to Road King...handlebar ?-heritage-bars-on-02-road-king2.jpg  
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
cballweg
Advanced

I put the Heritage bars on my 09 RK, but they did not cure the ache between my shoulders. I found that the Dyna Wide Glide seat, in combination with the new bars really helped. I stand 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam for whatever that may be worth...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser

If you want a slightly nicer bar than the standard Heritage bars go with the Chubby 10 inch apes (515 I believe) for the Road King. I just had them put on tonight and cannot even believe the difference in the ride over the stock bars. Basically similar to the Heritage bars but about 1/4 inch thicker. Nicer looking in my opinion - also more $$. But isn't your new baby worth it? Cables can be run internally - didn't have to switch out any cables. Dealer just did the whole change over for me once I ordered and received the bars.

http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO515.html

Website has pictures of Road Kings with the bars.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting the perfect fit is a never ending challenge. Seats and handle bars are of course the key.

The most installed handlebars on the King are the Heritages. Why, every harley dealer stocks them, there cheap, they don't require and wire of cable changes and there easy to install.

I have the heritages on my King and while there a definite improvement over stock I would like two to three inches more rise and maybe so more pull back.

The sundowner seat like the Heritages bars are also popular for the King for the same reasons. I also have a Sundowner seat and it's not perfect either but is much better than stock.

The point is there both good starting point to figure out where you want to go next.

Are you going to keep these two items for the rest of the life of your bike? If you ride a lot I doubt it. If it's going to sit in the garage they may be ok.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:27 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Heritage bars + Sundowner seat = 600+ mile days, no sweat. My HD 1000-mi "oil change" cost $411 (Wide Glide). Do it yourself (save receipts & document), and you'll have the ca$h for a J&S or PitBull jack...the best adjunct you can own, after a shop manual.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:22 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Have had a few friends change over to Heritage Bars, but I changed mine to Beach Bar on my old '06 RKC. Very comfortable and pleased in every which way.

Thorey

Old 09-23-2010, 09:34 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PKellyMc
Heritage bars + Sundowner seat = 600+ mile days, no sweat. My HD 1000-mi "oil change" cost $411 (Wide Glide). Do it yourself (save receipts & document), and you'll have the ca$h for a J&S or PitBull jack...the best adjunct you can own, after a shop manual.
I'm halfway to what you got on your's. I have the Sundowner with backrest
- but I'm still not sure about bar's - I like the Heritage bars but I also like the
street bob bars

How tall are ya PKellyMc if ya don't mind me asking?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caberto
Thanks for the replies so far! Those memphis shades are a great idea! I like the idea of tinted shields also... I'm thinking the 17" would be just right. I'll have to measure.

I think I'll go with the heritage bars... I've replaced handlebars in the past, on a V-Star 1300, I hope this isn't much more difficult. I'll probably change the grips while I'm at it... are the grips hard to replace since the throttle is "fly-by-wire?"
Changing the grips on one with the FBW is even easier than one with cables cause you don't have to mess with cable ends.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:35 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by upstate tim
Just changed my stock handlebars to Heritage bars. Love them. Best bang for the $65 spent.
Found after changing bars I see over the windshield perfectly now from sitting more upright. So don't cut windshield till after the bars get changed.. I too found the windshield in the same place as you before the bar change. If you're looking to change the seat, that too will change your position at the windshield line..
Changing the bars is a piece of cake. Protect the rest of your ride while working on the bars.
+1 100%

Heritage bars and seat before anything else.

Easy and the bigest bang for the buck