Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer gripe - buying new SG question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer gripe - buying new SG question

first off not sure if this post belongs here, its sorta touring related lol

While having never bought a brand new bike/car, nor a Harley from a dealer, i went to Detroit Harley yesterday to get a out the door price on a '11 SG and the dealer wouldn't give me a set in stone price unless i put a deposit down. He said it was to prevent me going to another dealer and saying hey so and so will do it for this, can you beat it. Is this typical practice? i see the logic, but as a consumer you better be damn sure im going to price shop when im dropping 20+ on a bike. he did offer 2k in store credit or 1k cash off bike - not sure if that's typical either for Harley dealers?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unfortunately this is very common now a days...ask for the best price and they usually quote me MSRP with all the tacked on fee's and tell me to come back to them when I am done shopping and they will beat the best price. My comment to them is that this should be your best brice because I will be signing with the lowest. Usually don't believe me until I ride in on my new bike to get an oil filter or something.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here, I walked into my local Dealer two years ago with money in hand to buy a new 09 EGC. Ask the salesman to give me his best out the door price. He wouldn't because he didn't have the color and options I wanted. I ask him couldn't he give me a best price and order the bike? He said, I can't give you a price without having the bike here in stock. I started looking at some more bikes he had and when I looked around to ask him a question, he was over talking with another guy showing him a bike. I walked out, went and bought the bike at another Dealer. Plus I've bought three more bikes since then, but haven't been back to him. I'm not putting up with sorry no good, don't care dealers!