Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust/Stage 1 questions on an '07 FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM
celticgent
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust/Stage 1 questions on an '07 FLHT

Hey all - Just to preface this, I am a mechanical moron.

Just traded my '07 XL for an '07 FLHT that I got from an indy shop. Bike has around 8K but I don't know much about it.

The bike has a non-stock full exhaust on it that look like ****. The left side has a dent, the heat shield on the right was cut jagged where (I'm guessing here) the cat or o2 sensor or whatever is sticking out of it, and the tips are starting to rust. I was told that a stage one was most likely done by whomever put on the pipes.

How do I tell if a stage one has been done? It is also possible that a fuel system was put on, how could I tell?

I obviously don't wanna spend money where I don't have to. I was thinking of buying a new set of pipes and just having those put on, so if there is already a Stage 1 I wouldn't want to pay to have it done again...

Am I forgetting anything?

Oh, I also have been having the crazy vibrations at idle/low rpm, so I have been reading up on possible motormount or bracket issues. I'm hoping it's just that I'm not used to the shake and it's normal.

Thanks!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:51 AM
catracho
Road Captain

You can check the air filter.

And the computer to see if any module is installed.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
celticgent
Road Master

does the air filter say Screaming Eagle or something on it to differentiate it from stock?
I've never seen the stock so I don't know what's different about it...

The airbox looks stock from the outside..I just looked at the HD website and it looks like the SE filter is round, where the stock looks more oblong, is that how you tell?

When they did my xl they didn't change the outer airbox at all, they didn't add a SE insert to the exterior or anything...

Same question about the module.

(Yes, I really need to get a service manual )

Old 09-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The indy shop where you bought it should be able to tell you what's been done do it. When a stage1 A/F is installed, they use the stock outer cover. Take a 5/16 allen wrench and remove the center bolt holding the outer football looking cover on. If it's a stage1 SE filter or Arlen Ness, It will be round in shape. If you want new mufflers, they are easy to bolt on, just be sure and buy new clamps. Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The stage I air filter stands out about an inch. The stock air filter sits tight against the motor. You can use the stock football cover on the stage I air cleaner, but it will still be noticible due to it standing out from the motor.

Take off the football cover, and the stage I air cleaner should look something like this (minus the ball milled round plate).

Old 09-21-2010, 12:11 PM
celticgent
Road Master

ugh. this is freaking weird.

i just went out to the parking lot and looked.
I have OEM mufflers, I checked the right and it's HD part 65846-07 (quick check tells me that it's stock that year.)

the weird part is that the exhaust is different....like maybe they used a different exhaust and put the stock mufflers back on??

when i look at the stock FLHT photo they do look like the stock mufflers...but the rest of the exhaust is different. the stock looks like it has a crossover pipe on the right side that goes up right before the passenger floorboard...that's missing on mine.

the exhaust under the heat shields is all rough and whitish-grey looking...the indy tried to tell me he thought it was ceramic coated...but I'm skeptical.

But I have no idea why you would go to the trouble of taking the exhaust off, replacing it, but then putting the stock mufflers back on?

As far as the air cleaner is concerned...i can see behind it, and it's definitely oval, not round.

ugh.

Last edited by celticgent; 09-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the exhaust "true duals" then?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by celticgent
ugh. this is freaking weird.

i just went out to the parking lot and looked.
I have OEM mufflers, I checked the right and it's HD part 65846-07 (quick check tells me that it's stock that year.)

the weird part is that the exhaust is different....like maybe they used a different exhaust and put the stock mufflers back on??

when i look at the stock FLHT photo they do look like the stock mufflers...but the rest of the exhaust is different. the stock looks like it has a crossover pipe on the right side that goes up right before the passenger floorboard...that's missing on mine.

the exhaust under the heat shields is all rough and whitish-grey looking...the indy tried to tell me he thought it was ceramic coated...but I'm skeptical.

But I have no idea why you would go to the trouble of taking the exhaust off, replacing it, but then putting the stock mufflers back on?

As far as the air cleaner is concerned...i can see behind it, and it's definitely oval, not round.

ugh.
Your exhaust might just be the fullsac conversion, using stock componants, but eliminating the y pipe. Sounds like you do not have the stage I air cleaner.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:48 PM
celticgent
Road Master

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Your exhaust might just be the fullsac conversion, using stock componants, but eliminating the y pipe. Sounds like you do not have the stage I air cleaner.
Just did a bit of online research, and I think you got it right, boogaloodude.

Looks like the previous owner did the Fullsac conversion, no stage 1. Did a shitty job, though...dented the heat shields and did a bad job cutting around the o2 sensor...

It sucks, but at least the mystery is solved.

Now I'm just trying to figure out whether I want to change the exhaust to true duals. From what I've read if I change out the exhaust system I will need a fuelmoto or power commander or xied or whatever. Do I need to do that even if I don't change the AC? I'm not looking to go hot rodding, this bike runs fine with this fullsac conversion...

Last edited by celticgent; 09-21-2010 at 01:51 PM.