Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping for a bike show?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010 | 05:56 AM
Silverearl
|
Road Captain
Cool Prepping for a bike show?

I have been wanting to put both my bikes in a bike show. I have cleaned like no tomorrow. I don't think there is anywhere that I have not put soap and wax. Does anyone have any good ideas to win the judges over? The 06 has 60+ k miles and has some stone chips on the lowers and fairing. But that is normal. Kinda hard to miss those little creatures. I weave enough without trying to avoid the stones to. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:27 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

All you can do is enter and see what happens.
You may be competing against bikes that are flawless,good luck!

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 09-21-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2010 | 07:15 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

i have a shovelhead rat bike. it hasn't been washed since 1993. when i show it, i turn it off and put the kickstand down and i'm done getting ready. there's a shelf full of trophies in the garage. 1flt is right, just go and have fun for the day. i like to go just to talk motorcycles all day and not just harleys either. the last bike show i went to i took my wife's honda moped and had a great time with that. she didn't win but we still had fun. if you win, you win. if you don't you don't. i don't know how you win judges over, i've never saw anyone talk to show judges while they're judging.

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:58 AM
miami
Road Master

You may want to flip the judges $100 each !!!!! I'm just sayin

Old 09-21-2010 | 11:09 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

It's hard to compete with a bike that is "rode" vs. bikes that are only rode (if that) to the show. Do the best you can & go have a great time!

Old 09-21-2010 | 11:45 AM
Silverearl
|
Road Captain

Thanks I am sure that I will, sitting behind the bikes in my easy chair waiting for all the women to walk by!! Yea right, the wife is going to be there too.. So much for that idea..

Old 09-21-2010 | 06:20 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Silverearl
I have been wanting to put both my bikes in a bike show. I have cleaned like no tomorrow. I don't think there is anywhere that I have not put soap and wax. Does anyone have any good ideas to win the judges over? The 06 has 60+ k miles and has some stone chips on the lowers and fairing. But that is normal. Kinda hard to miss those little creatures. I weave enough without trying to avoid the stones to. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
I've been putting my bikes in shows for years and I have found that they just need to be fairly clean (I'm guessing you are talking about ride in shows), the last show I was in I took my Sportster and there where only a couple of Sportsters there and I knew I was going to win so I ran home and traded for my RK and gave it a 15 minute clean up and I won 2nd place, next to a bike with a $3000 paint job, the only real problem with local shows is they all do them different as far as judging and sometimes no one wins except the people the judges know anyway what I'm trying to say is just go and have fun and if you win a trophy/plaque all the better.
The only real trick is if they park in rows, make certain you are in the front row even if you have to move your bike a couple of times, front row almost always wins.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:07 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
It's hard to compete with a bike that is "rode" vs. bikes that are only rode (if that) to the show. Do the best you can & go have a great time!
Actually, that's not entirely true.
Last year I left my house at 6 a.m. and rode 250 miles to enter my bike in a show that paid $500 to Best In Show.
I left with the money!
I wiped it down when I got there and that was the extent of it.
I talked to some of the judges and they stated they prefer seeing bikes that are ridden over trailer queens.
As a matter of fact, they stated they give more points to ridden bikes than non-ridden.
The show....Bumpus HD in Murfreesboro TN.
Pics are on their site.

Old 09-21-2010 | 09:55 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I've only entered one bike show and won the Touring class because the judges knew my bike was an FLHTPI that had been heavily civilianized and updated; plus I had my then-new candy apple red pearl paint job.

If you can, do a nice information card for the bike so the judges will know what they're looking at.

Carl

Old 09-22-2010 | 02:47 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member

Wife won her first show last summer...rode for 2 days, pulled in at the last minute (didn't know about the show in advance) Wiped down the bike, and she took first for the Softail Class..

You never know who will win, and its simply fun to look at all the bikes, get new ideas for mods, and talk to other riders. You win no matter what the judges say, simply by being there.

Have fun with it

Quick Reply: Prepping for a bike show?