Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XM Radio

Question for those using the XM Roady 2.

I have the HD radio, the Dakota Digital Antenna, the hardwire kit for the Roady 2.

When I play the XM radio, there is a lot of "white noise", but not so with local FM stations. What gives? It's annoying, and it's obnoxious, and I don't like it.

I have the channel set on a station that has no interference, and I have tried the different audio levels from the Roady 2.

Anyone?

Mac

Old 06-20-2005, 07:44 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: XM Radio

Can't help with your prob other than to report my similar set-up works fine on my '95 Ultra. My power feed is running thru a noise cancelling coil. If your's isn't, might be worth trying???

Old 06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I take it the positive end is? Where did you get it? Radio Shack? This idea occured to me earlier, but wanted to kick it around the forum before doing anything, see if anyone else had the same prob...

Mac

Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac,
So I'm guessing you are using the FM Modulator and have installed your XM antenna under the clam shell. This is also how I did it and I just used the magnet on the XM antenna to stick it to the top of the radio. I bought an extra cigarette power plug which I hooked up to the extra power wires that were by the headlight plug and then plugged the supplied XM power supply/modulator into that. I get a little white noise, but not enough to be noticeable while driving. I only hear it when I am using it as my garage stereo but even then it's not annoying. Does the Dakota Digital antenna require power? Have you tried disconnecting the DD antenna to see if it could be causing interference? Is the FM modulator antenna tied off to a power wire that could be causing interference? These are a couple of things I would look for.

Steve

Old 06-20-2005, 08:36 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I have not disconnected the Dakota Digital antenna...it and the power source to the Roady 2 are soldered in to the hot wire on the back of the cigarette lighter...I would have to unsolder to get that done.

The white noise is coming from the Roady 2, I don' thave it with the regular stations...I'm guessing the FM modulator from the Roady 2 is not so good...I wish there was a way to hard wire it to the antenna in the same fashion the Delphi Skyfi is...

Mac

Old 06-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mac I also have the noise on certain stations.I have the factory antinna and if I take it off of the bike the XM works perfect.My buddy has the Roady 1 with the added FM modulator and he has not had the problem.I like the Roady 2 better though because of the size.The one problem that I have that is driving me crazy is the vibration.My Roady keeps getting loose from the vibration and I can't figure out a fix for this problem.Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

This is how I mounted it.
Name:  DaHog004.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  94.5 KB

Old 06-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mac, I forget, do you have a stock radio for your FLHT? I use the AUX input on the radio as ALL FM modulators suck, IMO...

Old 06-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Markcuda
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I play the XM radio, there is a lot of "white noise"
Would you rather have "Black noise"?[sm=grinangel.gif]

Old 06-21-2005, 12:15 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Harley Rulz: I have the same set up...it's just irritating that I have the white noise...

Phil: I have the stock radio, I had not considered using the aux input...that kind of messes up the whole clean installation...though I'm thinking it would be better than the white noise...it's starting to get to me. I feel like a POW under mental torture being forced to give up information

Markcuda: Not on my radio!

Mac

Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 AM
hogsolo16
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mac, I have same set up but no noise, I have the xm hot wired to the back of my cig lighter and have a fast burning fuse holder on hot lead. No need to use a aux cable with road ready 2, plays thru fm . My xm antenna is magged on top of my break lever with ant wire hidden along side of break cable, Don't know if this makes diff. Good Luck !!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1777/DF044F35A45746DEA89D8F0D2660F970.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: XM Radio