Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:43 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: XM Radio

Hogsolo,

The only difference between what you are doing and what I am doing is the location of the antenna. Mine is under the fairing. With a digital signal, it shouldn't matter though...

Mac

Old 06-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mac,
On my 05 Ultra there are 2 extra wires (an orange and a black wire just like the ones that power the cigarette lighter) tied to the headlight harness. They appear to be extra power supply wires for use with an accessory. This allowed me to connect the Roady 2 to its own power supply. Shared power supplies can create noise. Hope this helps.

Steve

Old 06-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my roady powered from the cig lighter too. Hard wired. Zero noise but that's why I use the aux input on the radio. You don't really notice the wire that much as it's run through the fairing and comes across from the right side where the cables/wiring goes through. The aux input cable also doubles as my mp3 player cable. I've used (and still do on one car) the FM modulator and they suck! The way I figure it, I'm paying for sat. radio because of the clarity as well as comerical free music and I'm damn well gonna get the best clarity possible.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:34 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Tomorrow I'll look into to aux and see how that works...if'n it's as good as you say, and that solves it, I'm going to rig something...I can't stand the white noise any more. I wish I had know ahead of time, I would have gone with a the Delphi SkyFi model.

Mac

Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Mac,

I have almost the same setup as you, including the Dakota Digital and XM antenna under the fairing, and it seems to work perfect. I have my power coming from a cigarette lighter plug, and just use the FM modulator that is in the plug. The only time I have hard wired to the stereo aux. was in Las Vegas where I got some interference due to the station I was using (88.1) being broadcast on. I just hard wired it to aux. until I left Vegas, and everything was fine.

I have switched back and forth between hard wire and FM modulation and can't really tell the difference. Old ears I guess. Maybe I have white noise and just don't know it.

Here is something you might try to see if the problem is in the hard power wiring. Disconnect the power cord you are using now, and connect the Roady using the cigarette lighter plug that it came with. If the white noise goes away, you have a problem with the hardwired power adaptor.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-21-2005, 08:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Is your Roady pedestal mount getting loose, or is it the clip-on bracket. My clip on bracket did not hold the reciever unit tight, so I just put some 3M foam between the bracket and the reciever. Now everything is tight, and the foam acts as a cushion between the bracket and the reciever.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info on the 3M foam Bill.I'll give that a try.I have it mounted on the factory swivel mount that comes with the Roady 2.I've got it as tight as I can get it and it seems like it needs some cushion.The slot that slides down into the bracket is getting worn from all the vibration.

Thanks for the input Bill.

Craig

Old 06-21-2005, 01:28 PM
jcc/tx
Cruiser

I was a bit brief in my description; so here is another try. I use the Roady2 in 3 different 4 wheelers and on 2 different bikes. The '95 Ultra just uses the cig lighter and the belt clip mount on an accessory bar (mounted to 2 windscreen bolts) with the antenna magnet stuck to the bar. I have no "white noise", at least that my old ears can detect. It is on the Guzzi that the interference coil is in the power feed, but it was not designed for a radio. The filter did come from Radio Shack. My fm output is set for 88.3 in this area, but have had to change it in other locations.

Good luck. I would not want to do without my xm!!!

Old 06-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Is your Roady pedestal mount getting loose, or is it the clip-on bracket. My clip on bracket did not hold the reciever unit tight, so I just put some 3M foam between the bracket and the reciever. Now everything is tight, and the foam acts as a cushion between the bracket and the reciever.

Regards,

Bill
Another trick is to warm up the holder with a hairdryer and bend the holder using a pen or pencil to tighten it up. Worked for me and was recommended by cycle gadgets dot com...

Old 06-21-2005, 07:02 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Phil,

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind if mine gets loose again.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: XM Radio