Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wreck update

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wreck update

Hey all,

A few weeks ago I posted a note of my wreck in Oklahoma City. I was on a ramp to get on I-44 eastbound. The ramp emptied onto a service road, not the interstate but I didn’t recognize this. This service road looked like the 100 yard run-up normally used to speed up and merge into traffic. OKC lane dividers in this interstate area are nothing more than unpainted sidewalks. Vehicles speeds on the service road and the interstate were very close… 65-70mph. That said, I accept full responsibility for what happened. I saw what I expected to see, what I was looking for… not what was there.

Long story short, I remember being shocked to see a blue car off my left, closing fast. I was determined to miss that car. I locked the brakes, the bike fish-tailed, off the brakes when I was sure we were clear. As the bike squared up, I saw the curb 10ft away and knew I was going down. I remember hitting the curb but not being thrown off the bike. My RKC slid some 65 yards down the interstate/service road. I landed on my left side and it must've been a hard hit. Seven broken ribs, collar bone, collapsed lung and road rash.

Anyway, I wanted to bring you up to date… Ribs seem to be getting better, no longer hard to breathe. With all else going on, the road rash was barely noticeable; I wish that was all I had to deal with. My lung is still collapsed but it'll come along. Tomorrow I see a bone Dr who will almost certainly put a pin in the collar bone. One bone’s sitting atop the other. Cat-scan on Wednesday and the GP on Friday. Things are finally moving right along.

The bike took minimal damage. The custom paint (spiritual theme; see my album) took no damage, but lots of other stuff will need attention. You all talked me into filing a claim with Progressive Insurance. I still can’t believe how accommodating those people are! They’re positive, reassuring and quick. My feeling is so long as their adjusters keep that attitude, Progressive’s going to be a leader in motorcycle insurer! I hope to get the bike back by the end of next week. I can’t ride yet and will get a friend to bring it home. I love that bike!

I’m still on pain killers and they won’t let me drive. Hurts like hell getting out of bed. Even doing things with my right arm/hand affect my left side. Ouch! This is my first and hopefully last major wreck on a bike. I know someone was watching over things. How do you explain an area of road-rash clearly burned in the shape of a cross <g>. That’s one example of many.

Things could’ve been so much worse, it’s humbling. No neck pain, no back pain. All’s fine below the waist, all fine on my right side. No other vehicles were involved, no property damage (except OKC’s precious curb). I’m convinced I’ll come out of this a more confident rider. I’m no one to tell anyone what to do, but I feel I must ask all who don’t wear helmets to consider doing so, every ride. This incident would have had a different outcome had I not had mine on. Seriously. Dead or paraplegic. What a burden on my family, makes me sad thinking about it.

We’re so fortunate to have a family we can share things like this! I appreciate every one of you!!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Alpha and Omega indeed!!! I'm certain that despite this horrible occurrence, you have thanked God a couple of thousand times so far during your convalescence.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the update - I was thinking of you. My experience with Progressive was very similar (good). I dreaded calling them - not anymore.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:29 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wishing a speedy recovery for you. Sounds like you've got it covered!

Speeking for myself, some lessons need to be learned from experiences I survive!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear everything is coming along OK. Take care and heal quickly. See You on the Road soon!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
road_king_rob
Tourer

Come on up to Tulsa when you heal. I'll buy you a beer. Uh, just be careful with the construction around here. It's a mess.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Blu02
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

hate to hear that but greatful it wasnt as bad as it could have been. we had 2 guys go down on a ride in south eastern oklahoma 3 week ago. i think it hurt thier ego more then them though! get better soon.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Glad you're doing better and on the road to recovery. Get back on the road as soon as you can!

Prayers from Jeff & Laurie

Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
09RKC
Tourer

Tkx guys. They told me as I was in Trauma and about to be sent to ICU, three more mc accidents came in. None of them were wearing helmets. The person talking looked very somber.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:23 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Ouch, I hope you heal quickly! I had similar injuries from a motorcycle wreck about 7 years ago. Reading this account brought back memories of all the pain and discomfort I experienced. Do not wish to repeat those events.

m.a.c.

Quick Reply: Wreck update