Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! dropped wrench on 6 gal tank - small ding advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Help! dropped wrench on 6 gal tank - small ding advice

I dropped a wrench on top of my 6-gal fuel tank on my RKC and put a small ding about 3 inches rear of left fuel guage cap. My question is, how does dentless repair work, is it done from the outside or inside, and if from the inside, does anyone know if the large round hole that opens into the tank under the console is open to allow access to get a tool to the dent??

Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Done from the inside. I've seen those guys work. They might be able to fix it for you.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 466 Likes on 192 Posts

Its done from the inside. Should be able to get it from the inside of the tank. My wifes car was in a Hail storm a few years back. The guy popped out like 200 dents. You couldn't tell it has ever been touched. Good Luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:49 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Dent Removal

As long as the paint isn't damaged and its not on a crease paint less dent removal is the way to go. I had it done on the Mrs car a few years ago the dealer damaged the car they footed the bill. I spoke to the guy working on the dent says going price is $100-$175 a dent and they pop em out using tools and get in behind the dent I think he used air compressor too! I asked him about HD tanks and he said he does em all the time amazing when he was finished if you never saw the dent before he removed it you never in a million years would know one had been there!!!! The guy was in the NY NJ area and it was called "Dent Doctors" there are franchises all over the country Dont hesitate go for it, a lot cheaper than a new tank!!
My two cents BV!!

Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, if a paintless dent removal person can do it that's the way to go. If not, research the dry ice/heat method. I used that on a dent years ago that i never dreamed it would work on but it did perfectly.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they do the dentless with the tank on the bike? Do you have to drain gas? Is it hard to get center console off?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:23 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Just put one of those bullut hole stickers on it and call character!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Denis75
6th Gear

Had a dent on my old Honda VTX. It was a "sharp" dent. The paintless dent removal guys got most of it out. If it wasn't so sharp he could of got it totally out. Still did a good job. Had to drain the gas tank and I think he went thrue the petcock. It depends where the dent is I guess.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To do any work from inside I recommend draining the tank, removing the sending unit and pump. Center console is easy to remove, just follow instructions in manual-got one don't you? Leave the tank on the bike, but definatly get the stuff out of the way. Teh hardest thing to do is drain all the gas out with out making a big mess. i proped a large funnel under the left tank cross over line, cut the clamp and do like the little dutch boy and plug the near side tank with you finger while the right side drains. then slide 9quickly) a 6 inch piece of 5/16 hose on the left side where yor finger is and drain the left side. Good luck and let us know how the dent removal turns out.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
artz
Road Master

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
Just put one of those bullut hole stickers on it and call character!
LOL ! Done that....
the heat/cold method works too. Best used on a warm/hot day. Wear a pair of gloves, use dry ice and freeze outside dented area. The heat and cold working the metals' molecules make it slowly "pop" out with the help of a hair dryer. Sharp dents require pro dent removal.
Try it ! Its cheap, easy, and only costs a few $$ for the dry ice (which you can purchase at publix groceries, etc. PLUS it doesn't hurt the bike.

Quick Reply: Help! dropped wrench on 6 gal tank - small ding advice