Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question...am I missing something

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 03:03 PM
SharkBite
|
Road Captain
Default Exhaust question...am I missing something

Ok, so I recently purchased a 10 road glide and am tired of my girl calling it a 'hybrid'...I was looking to upgrade the exhaust to try and get my manhood back.

I had seen multiple posts on here about fuel moto and stage 1 upgrades that people were doing for around $600 or so. I gave them a call today and was quoted a price to go to a 2-1-2 system with the 4.5 jackpot pipes, the power commander V etc of $1,426.00.

I admit I'm mechanically-challenged so I wouldn't even know what the stage 1 upgrade is other than reading about it on here. Is that about what I should expect or am I being quoted to replace parts that aren't necessary? The guy I spoke with was polite but seemed kinda disinterested in explaining everything to me so I was hoping somebody on here could do so.

Flaming is acceptable and encouraged

Old 09-20-2010 | 03:17 PM
valvestem
Road Captain

I'm still laughing at your girlfriend calling it a HYBRID. Now that there is funny stuff.

Old 09-20-2010 | 03:27 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

It all depends on how far you want to go? Do you want to get rid of the Cat in the head pipe? I'm sure Fuelmoto was pricing a complete Header pipe with mufflers and tuner. I don't do a lot of around town stoplight to stoplight riding and I'm hesitant about removing the Head pipe with the cat. After all they put it there for a reason. I'm using Fuelmoto's Jackpot Mufflers with standard baffles, Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage1 A/F and FL-XIEDS to enrich fuel. All for around 540.00 Dollars. My RK runs great with this setup.

Old 09-20-2010 | 03:30 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SharkBite
Ok, so I recently purchased a 10 road glide and am tired of my girl calling it a 'hybrid'...I was looking to upgrade the exhaust to try and get my manhood back.

I had seen multiple posts on here about fuel moto and stage 1 upgrades that people were doing for around $600 or so. I gave them a call today and was quoted a price to go to a 2-1-2 system with the 4.5 jackpot pipes, the power commander V etc of $1,426.00.

I admit I'm mechanically-challenged so I wouldn't even know what the stage 1 upgrade is other than reading about it on here. Is that about what I should expect or am I being quoted to replace parts that aren't necessary? The guy I spoke with was polite but seemed kinda disinterested in explaining everything to me so I was hoping somebody on here could do so.

Flaming is acceptable and encouraged
$1400 seems a little high for an exhaust & PC-V. I think it all depends on what "ect" parts are. That said I'm sure Fuel Moto is not going to screw you over.

Last edited by 07FLHT; 09-20-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 03:49 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I just did a complete FM set, 2-1-2, SEAC, PCV, Regular jackpots, for my Limited and came in just a bit under that. The 2-1-2 pipe is relatively expensive but worth every penny. Bike runs MUCH cooler and I LOVE the sound and power.

Old 09-20-2010 | 03:53 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

There are alot of slip-on mufflers goin pretty cheap on ebay if all your lookin for is some extra sound. Look at Bassani,V&H's or Rhineharts.

Old 09-20-2010 | 05:17 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

If you just want to give it a "snarl" for your manhood , just replace the stock muffler with something like this
http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/powertube.htm $240.00 and nothing else will make it sound pretty good.
Unless you want or need something more , this would probably do the trick.
This should cure the "hybrid" problem quickly.
Mick

Old 09-20-2010 | 05:39 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Yea what they said. That was for the complete system with Pro touring slip-ons (which are very nice), SS 2-1-2 headpipe, stage 1 A/C, and Pwer Commander V w/ their custom map. That is my setup on my 11 RGU, and I love it. I am not gonna quote what I paid. However, I ran a week with the stock headpipe, the PCV, the Pro Touring 4.5", and the Stage 1 A/C and it in itself made a difference. It also wasn't as growly when shifting, and a little more tame sounding. Finally my head pipe came in... Whoa, it sounds like a beast when I get on it. But I can ride it lame and tame if I wish. MPG's are doing OK also @~40.

The Pro Touring sound better then the Jackpot Dyno slip-ons IMO. Much deeper note. They also have the endcaps included, but are more expensive then the Dyno tuned. I ran the Dyno tuned on my last bike, so I can compare them. I like how the Pro Touring look with the Road Glide especially. IF money is an issue and all you want is sound, get the dyno tuned slip-ons only. If you are willing to go more go for the Dyno tuned slip-ons, PCV, and Stage 1 a/c. OR a little more, Pro touring (deeper note) vice the Dyno tuned... Then later on if you want to replace the head pipe call Jamie and get it and have him send you the new map. Fuelmoto is very easy to deal with.

Edit: Just realized you are running a 2-1. I would think that is only one slip-on... couldn't you save there also? Plus I think FuelMoto has a 2-1 setup.

Last edited by JollyRogers; 09-20-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:53 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

Like Mick said, if all you want is better sound, just replace the stock muffler with your choice of aftermarket slipons. Almost anything will sound better than stock.

Old 09-20-2010 | 06:03 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Originally Posted by Mick
If you just want to give it a "snarl" for your manhood , just replace the stock muffler with something like this
http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/powertube.htm $240.00 and nothing else will make it sound pretty good.
Unless you want or need something more , this would probably do the trick.
This should cure the "hybrid" problem quickly.
Mick
How would it work if you took the crossover pipe and left side off and plug it where the crossover hooks on and use this powertube muffler? Would that work?

Last edited by Ronp42; 09-20-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question...am I missing something