Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Questions....."Hydraulic"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
bobx67
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what kinda $$$ does this cost, i see that everyone says its 'expensive', but how much?

running a hydraulic clutch could let you hide the cable and make everything look cleaner..

Old 11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My opinion:

1. Cable clutch is not hard to adjust, once you know how. Hydraulic will need the fluid changed/bleed (I think they recommend every 2 years) so its not without maintenance, and probably a bigger pain in the butt to do that lubing/adjusting the cable.

2. Hydraulic is expensive.

3. Hydraulic is no less easy to pull than the current cable clutch (better than pre-06, but not after that)

4. Hydraulic does not have as good a FEEL if your feathering the clutch, say in low speed turns.

If I had built my motor up to the point of needed a really stiff clutch spring, I might consider Hydraulic, but in any other case, I would stay with the cable.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx67
what kinda $$$ does this cost, i see that everyone says its 'expensive', but how much?

running a hydraulic clutch could let you hide the cable and make everything look cleaner..
Ball park would be about $500. Take the parts list I posted earlier in the thread & see what you can price out the parts for. You can save some money by hunting down deals at swap meets, ebay, etc. It takes some effort & some cash, but it was worth it for me.

For flyingace:

Hydraulics need fluid maintenance at about the same interval as your hydraulic brakes. It's basically a single piston brake system.

Yes, there's some expense involved.

My clutch is considerably easier to disengage than a cable clutch, & *WAY* smoother on engagement.

Mine is just fine for feathering.

All those issues were things I heard from every shop & mechanic I talked to about hydraulic clutches on Harleys. After two hydraulic clutches on metric motorcycles I'm glad I ignored the nay sayers.