Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since I'm a new HD owner...Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM
dont_bug_me
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amsoil is the way to go in my opinion. I use it in all I drive. From my Harley to my wifes classic Stingray. I've ran nothing but Amsoil in my old Bronco and she has over 150K... Just my opinion.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmcgc
After runing Hondas for 30 years this is a little different.

Everyone has an opinion on oil.

On my Hondas I ran Rotella 15/40 winter, 20/50 summer. Oil change interval was 8000 miles, I used the biggest filter that I could fit on the bike, Supertech if possible.

Engine oil change interval on HDs is 5000 miles, 10,000 miles on tranny/primary.

On my 09 EGS I will ride 10-15k a year, my wife will ride 5k a year on her 08 Fat Bob.

On my wifes bike do I change the tranny/primary annualy, or at 10k? At the end of year 1/5000 miles I could pull a sample and see what it has left in it. Rather than reinvent the wheel, Im sure someone has already looked into this.

This isnt about money. I have been riding and driving since 1974, I do maintenence when the manufacturer says to do it.

Before the flamers start in . I use Rotella oil, I use Walmart filters, I change engine oil when the manufacturer says to change engine oil.

Ive never had an oil related failure in anything Ive ever owned.

So my question is on tranny/primary oil. Annually or 10k?
I run reg Torco 20w/50 in mine & torco gear oil in tranny!! I like it,it works well.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use HD Dino (20W50) in the engine. Formula+ in the trans and primary. Change engine oil every 2,500 and trans, primary annually.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

20/50 Mobil 1 and Redline Heavy in the tranny

Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a big fan of oil. I think it's a super good idea to use it in your Harley and change it from time to time.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

To answer the question you posed, I would change annually if you don't make it to 10,000 miles. That's what I always did when my son was small and I didn't get to ride much in a year.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
bmcgc
Banned

After reading through alot of threads its to easy not to change the tranny/primary oil at least annually.

I do have an observation on the various opinions that I have been reading about the oil issue:

Many guys post that they only use HD oil and filters because HD knows best.

Then in the next line they say that they dont change oil at the recommended 5000 mile interval, they change at 2000, 2500, 3000 ect.

So on one hand HD knows whats best when it comes to oil and filters, but doesnt know whats best when the oil should be changed.

Im just saying.........................

On my Chevy V8s I used a 2 qt oil filter. More oil = more heat dissipation.

Any choices for a longer filter on a 96ci FLH?

Are the filter threads 3/4 x 16?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bmcgc
After reading through alot of threads its to easy not to change the tranny/primary oil at least annually.

I do have an observation on the various opinions that I have been reading about the oil issue:

Many guys post that they only use HD oil and filters because HD knows best.

Then in the next line they say that they dont change oil at the recommended 5000 mile interval, they change at 2000, 2500, 3000 ect.

So on one hand HD knows whats best when it comes to oil and filters, but doesnt know whats best when the oil should be changed.

Im just saying.........................

On my Chevy V8s I used a 2 qt oil filter. More oil = more heat dissipation.

Any choices for a longer filter on a 96ci FLH?

Are the filter threads 3/4 x 16?
Just be careful about using universal automotive application cross reference on filter fitment. Flow rates and particle filtration size is very important and those cross reference listings don't necessarily consider these factors, usually just gasket and thread size. As for the oil I agree with the others who say at least annually on the primary and tranny if the mileage doesn't require a change.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree, change fluids at first possible interval. HD formula+ in primary, Redline V-Twin shock proof in transmission. Use whatever you prefer in the motor, just keep it clean. DO NOT USE MOTOR OIL IN TRANSMISSION!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Redline powerpack 69.99 shipped to my door includes 5 quarts oil, tranny and primary, fuel injection cleaner, oil funnel, hat and stickers, cheaper than amsoil at the dealer and IMO a better product

Quick Reply: Since I'm a new HD owner...Oil?