Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:40 PM
82husky
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glide Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited

Greetings all. I'm new to the forum and new to Harleys for that matter. I'm making the move from my metric bike to a HD and I'm hoping for some advise on which Electra Glide model would be best. Does the Ultra Classic seem underpowered with the 96 rather than the 103. As far as I can tell they are pretty similar except for the motor size and a few small things, heated grips and such. I plan on riding two up with the wife but probably only a few trips a year, nothing major. I would love to hear your opinion on the two models.

Thanks in advance.......

Old 09-19-2010, 02:48 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess that's really very subjective and you're going to get responses that support either. My personal opinion is that the touring bikes are heavy enough, adding the weight of a passenger it really doesn't hurt to have a larger displacement. Unfortunately H-D doesn't see fit to put a better cam in the Limited so you're stuck with needing to upgrade that whether you buy a 96 or 103.

If you're new to H-Ds as you say you are, I highly recommend budgetting for an exhaust system upgrade, cams and air cleaner followed by a tune (yes it gets expensive). If adding these components are going to put a Limited over your budget then get the 96 and use the savings for upgrading the 96 powertrain.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! I have an 07 so, it's a 96" but I have test riden the 103" & didnt think it was that much more powerful. Most guys who have them love 'em! They do have a bit more compression so when you change the cams (and if you hang out around here long you will change cams!) you'll have a little better selection. Another nice thing about the 103" is it comes with an oil cooler.
Good luck with a tough but fun decission!
Dave

Old 09-19-2010, 02:53 PM
xdanman
Tourer
Default re

I came from a Honda VTX1300R, and the ride on my 2010 Ultra is incredible compared to the honda. I wish I could have just got upgraded to the 103 for just the price difference in 2010, I would have done it . The 96 is still plenty of motor.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:55 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The power of stock Harley touring bikes are noticeably less than any metric of comparable size. You would probably be a little disappointed. I went from a GL1800 Goldwing to an Ultra Classic and there is a lot of difference in performance.

I would recommend you test ride the Harley bikes you are considering.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:03 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notwithstanding all of the above, I find the stock Harley engine and power to be more than adequate for my riding....

Old 09-19-2010, 03:19 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes

I would recommend you test ride the Harley bikes you are considering.
Sure - just bear in mind that you won't get a particularly good feel for the difference once you "fix" all the short comings of a stock engine.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from a rocket III they all felt slow..... they all were 10X more comfortable and a lot less work to ride which is what I wanted.

My first harley was a 2010 Electra glide classic with the 96...... between the cat in the head pipe and the 96" motor it did feel really slow.

I traded it after a month for a 2009 Electra Glide Police model and have never been so happy with a bike. The 103 and the lack of EPA garbage on the bike makes it a lot more fun.

Some things to think about though..... the 96 with a set of pipes, a stage 1 breather, and a good tune ( how my wife's Fat Boy is set up) is still plenty fast. The 96 vibrates less ( both on my FLHTC and especially on my wife's Fat Boy as it's mounted differently) and the clutch pull is easier. I'm sure that a set of cams would do wonders too ( haven't tried that yet)...... the 103 has a lot more bottom end though, and it still pulls harder even with just a set of slip-ons........

Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM
bks
Cruiser

I've had my Limited for 3 weeks now and in my opinion the Limited is worth every penny of the price difference. I've had a couple of Ultra Classic owners tell me that they wished they would have spent the extra $$$ for the Limited.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:47 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an 07 Ultra Classic, I put cams in and various other mods. It ran very well, My new Limited in stock form ran OK,but not as well. THEN, I put a Fuel Moto PCV S/E ac and dresser duals, now it would pull away from my old bike.The extra dough for the limited is a lot cheaper than buying them and having them installed.

Mark

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited