Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Sargergp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default other extras

Something else to consider. I ride an '09 Ultra and after talking with a couple of limited owners who were unfortunate enough to find out first hand how effective the ABS is on their bikes, I wish I had held out until I could afford the Limited as it includes that option.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:51 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think everyone will agree that the extras on the Limited are a definate value compared with the Ultra, just like the Ultra options are collectively a bargain compared to the Classic.

It all comes down to financials. I do not think there is really anyone out there that can afford the Limited and purchases the Ultra.

Either one its hard to go wrong. And as far as the advice that you "must do" engine mods, dont believe them. There are plenty of people riding around on full stockers and are plenty happy.

But, from a Limited owner, I guess I am pretty biased. Good Luck.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I was in your same boat about 3 months ago.

I did the math first, also are you buying new or used, that makes a difference...

I ended up buying a used '09 EG UC with 1600 miles on it and then upgraded the stuff I wanted. I just did the Fuel Moto Stage 1 and my 96 is now more than enough for me power and sound wise. And even with all the goodies I got, I still have a lot of mula left over to do more to the bike... Also color was VERY important to me as well, which played a roll in my decision ... so feature for feature the UC was a better buy than the limited for me ...IMO

The truth is, if you are buying new AND you like the colors offered for the limited - the limited is an excellent buy $ for $.

Last edited by ChristoHD; 09-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM
heinkel150
Intermediate
Smile 07 Ultra Classic

Hi there, I was buying my last bike and had a choice between a 08 Electra Glide Standard and a 07 Ultra Classic. I ended up with the Ultra Classic, (older frame and non ABS brakes)

I would love the Ultra Limited, for the ABS brakes alone and the slightly bigger motor, but the 96 is a really capable bike in its own right as the following may prove.

I weigh 105 Kg and wife is 75Kg plus our luggage. On a recent trip through France to Switzerland and back, no sweat, no problems and wouldn't change for the world other than perhaps the Ultra Ltd.

We use it mostly two up in bog standard condition, other than the Electra Bling I added. I recently completed a 3600 Km journey from Ireland to the Swiss Alps and over 6 of the Swiss mountain passes. (Look up the Grimsel, Susten, Neufen, Furka, Schallenberg and Brunnig passes) The bike was in company of a 02 Honda Pan European, 09 Honda Deauville and 08 Harley Softail Heritage.

The Ultra was MORE than capable on the Swiss passes where we climbed to 2846 meters or more on 40 plus hairpins each.

On long flat stretches through the Isle de France it was utterly capable.

So, perhaps to answer your question, there is more than enough power in the E-Glide 96 even in bog standard spec to do any normal sort of touring. If you want to race your buddies or put it up against metric sports bikes, then you will always find the E-Glide under powered or wanting in some areas. There is probably no such thing as the perfect bike, but the Ultra, in whatever shape it comes, is as close to perfect as you can get, for long haul touring two up.

There is a really good handling, well built and reasonably powerful touring bike underneath the Electra Glides bling.

After our trip to Switzerland I will be hanging on to the 07 for a while longer until I can afford the later frame and wider rear tyre which will probably be on a Ltd.

One final thing: The last evening in Mont Sainte Michel, we were polishing up our bikes when 2 Japanese tourist happened along. He pointed to the Pan European and Deauville and said AAAAH! Honda......good Japanese bikes! After e few more pleasantries he asked if his wife could take a photograph of him on the Harley Electra Glide! We cracked up to be honest and said yes of course.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

If $$$ is not an issue get UC cause you get lot more then just EG or better get Ltd UC but keep in mind HD marketing strategy,you will have to personalized at some point lots chrome power and all other bling blings.Buying HD is like buying a project which is very hard to finish but it's very entertaining though.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

The biggest differences other than the 103 are the ABS & security, if you want those options the price difference is only $1500. For that price you are getting a 103 with an oil cooler, heated grips, chrome wheels, & titanium gauges, plus some different styling features & paint options. As for resale the Limited will do better than an Ultra with options added, as dealers don't care what you've spent on add ons they just go by original list price. To me it seems like a no brainer to get the Limited if you're going to add ABS to an Ultra unless there's a color on the Ultra you can't live without.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:12 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
The biggest differences other than the 103 are the ABS & security, if you want those options the price difference is only $1500. For that price you are getting a 103 with an oil cooler, heated grips, chrome wheels, & titanium gauges, plus some different styling features & paint options. As for resale the Limited will do better than an Ultra with options added, as dealers don't care what you've spent on add ons they just go by original list price. To me it seems like a no brainer to get the Limited if you're going to add ABS to an Ultra unless there's a color on the Ultra you can't live without.
Great points! Agreed, especially if you are buying brand new....

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Yesterday I test rode a 2011 Ultra. I did not see enough difference to trade my 07 Ultra 96 for a 11 Ultra 96. But I would trade for a 2011 Ultra Limited if I had the money. Would love to have a 103. good luck.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Standard or Limited?? = No brainer

The Ultra has so much more bling and usefull options but the Limited gives you the 103.
1. - The lower fairings are removable and with the optional quick disconnect hardware they come off in minutes.
2. - The Tour pack can also be made detachable with a HD parts kits for the pack mount and QD wiring harness option.
The two options above give you a warm weather street bike with lots of power plus the shed of around 50lbs.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first off...howdy from Arkansas and welcome to the forum

i opted to buy a used Ultra classic,, (Pic Below) which had had just been upgraded to a 103....so for me, it's great... i did test ride a 96 and it had enough power for me...i weigh in at about 255 so it can carry the MALE>>>>>>

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited