Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the 07's troubled or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:02 AM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are the 07's troubled or not?

I put VH basic slash cut slips on my new 07 RK Custom. They have a wonderfully rich bass tone and are plenty loud. Hated those stock pipes though and they say the new ones only get you a 17% increase in dbs'........just my two cents on the pipes. Good luck with yours!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 AM
fxr_george
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Bro

Question I ride a 1982 fxr with a new evo motor, hooker header, s&s super e,big andrews cam, and the old sholve 5-speed in it (good clutch set-up), and beat the hell out of it (love it and fast).

I want to buy the 2007 street glide and put a 110 se kit with reinharts or thunder header with what ever I need to manage the fuel injection (pc III probably) and a/c kit.

Are all these people that are bitching about a 2007 5 gear noise dont realizewhat an older harley sounded like when you rode it.

Just want to know how you like you new 2007 street glide in a nut shell.

thank you

Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

i liked my 07 well enough that i turned around and bought another one for the wife.... don't worry about it, go for it and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-06-2007, 03:25 AM
DaleG
Advanced

I have 1500 miles on mine and have no issues. I just don't hear that 1st or 5th gear wine, or rocks in the can noise. I have tried my best to hear it, but just don't. The bike makes noises, but no more than my 2004 Sportster. That is not to say others don't have real issues with thier transmissions.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Time2ride
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ctimrun

Man this blows! I am ready to go drop $20K + on a new HD but I am having a hard time getting excited about it because of these issues. If I were to buy one and end up not being happy with it due to these problems, how could I really turn around and sell it to anyone? This whole situation sucks big time......
So don't buy one. You don't even have one and have convinced yourself you're gonna have problems, so you will.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:40 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4000 miles on my RK classic, sold my 04 train to get it, and love it. Its an air cooled push-rod v-twin, if you want super smooth and quiet look elsewhere. HD have character, its why I love em in this 'has to be perfect world'. I had a 1976 Kawasaki Z1 which ran smoother and faster than my 07 HD, but I want character, not perfect.

Buy it or dont, dosent matter to me. For what its worth I would do the same again.

When the 08's come out, you may as well figure that its best to wait for the 09's.

As for an untested product that will blow up if you so much as look at it. Well if you really believe a multi millon pound (sorry dollar) company is going to risk flushing its self down the toilet by releasing an untested product, and upsetting its shareholders then there is little I can say to change your mind, and if you are right you had best sell them HD shares now before they go bust.

There isnt a thing made on this planet which if made in sufficient number wont have a few defective units, even Hondas, BMW's, etc. If you got a bad HD then I am truly sorry, and HD should honor their warranty. If they dont take em to court if you are in the right you will win.

WB

WB

Old 05-06-2007, 09:49 AM
badlandr
Road Captain

Well I might as well jump in too...
I traded my 2003 Road King in for the 2007 SG and love it.
Yeah it had the heat issue and now that it has over 3000 mile I'm starting to hear the Trans whine but not rocks yet.
I see alot of noise about the pipes being to quite well this is my 3rd HD and every one of then were to quite with stocks pipes I don't get the point. The heat issue has been fixed with a Fuel Pak, Arlen Ness Air filter kit and a change to HD Syn3 oil. The pipes will be changed as soon as I get tired of them.
To sum it up this is no different than the other HDs I've owned I did all the same mods.
And YES even though I loved the RK and it was in great shape I would still get the SG cause it GREAT.
Good luck on your chose!!!

Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM
MotorSgt
Tourer

I just hit the 1100 mile mark on my 07' RKCustom. I love it to death. I dont find anything discussed here an issue. 5th gear makes a funny noise. Umm its a machine, machines make noise. Bike hauls ***, rides smooth, and it doesnt leak. What more could you ask for?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '07 FLSTSC and love it. I have almost 2K on it and not one issue. I have V&H true duals on it with fishtails and I can't hear the tranny anyway. I have a 2005 Electra Glide that needed the shifter shaft and seals replaced after about 5K but has not hiccupped since and it is at almost 30k right now.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

I too struggled with all the 07 UC issues, thought maybe the old saying about hearing more negativity than praises was part of the problem. I backed out of the purchase twice, then went ahead and bought my UC thinking that I would not pick it up till the V&H Ovals-PCIII-A/C were installed would possibly help. So I waited till the parts were installed along with a canned map to pick her up. I changed all lubes to Amsoil at the 500 mile mark hoping that also would help. Her first road trip was to Laughlin with about 600 miles under her belt, riding 2 up with two fairly large people, bags packed to the max, but not a considerable amount of weight in my opinion. The first 20 miles was good, then the rocks in the can hit, the only way to avoid the sound was to ride in the 3500-4000 rpm range, still had some slight pinging at roll on. Got further in the trip and the air temp hit about 65 degrees and the ping progressively got worse. Got to Laughlin and tried to ride about 4 blocks in stop/go traffic and was ready to jump off the bike at the next street corner. Actually ended up with minor burn to the thighs. Decided not to ride the rest of the weekend, not sure how much damage is really happening at 80-105 degree air temps and all the pinging etc. Babied the crap out of her on the way back home, got about 100 miles into the trip and blew a fuse for the stop lights, horn, turn signals, cruise etc. Decided at that point that it was going back to the stealer and she could live there until it was fixed or at least better. At this point I was ready to park her and go back to the Sporty which I love. I was disappointed that I spent 23K and then invested another 1500.00 for AC/PCIII/V&H before it even left the stealership.

Well the Stealer calls and they found a shorted wire in the handle bars for fuse blowing. Supposely got it dialed in on the dyno, and she is ready to come home. Yesterday's weather sucked her in Northern Arizona with snow etc, so I won't know the final out today if possible.

I did purchase some heat shields from Kurkakyn at Laughlin that I will install after she come home from the hospital, also plan on removing the lower fairings to maybe shed some more heat if it still there.

What I love about the UC:
Size-Comfort (Found that stock seat and me at 225lbs is good for about a 100 miles)-Lots of storage-Tunes-Cruise-Nice White Pearl Paint

What I am dissapointed about:
Heat-Rocks in the can-6th Gear basically un-useable at anything less than 70 mph-Whine in 5th-Bike is a little top heavy (Big step for me going from a Sporty to UC), but I will adjust to it I'm sure.

Remember this is MY experience so far, I know there are those that have no issues. There are many factors that may come into play for some people, things like riding styles (1up/2up), weight load on bike, Elevation, Air Temps, etc.....My scoot was built in November 2006 per the label, I live at the 6000/7000 feet above sea level, not sure if date built has any effect. IMO if there ever is a class action law suit brought forth, I may jump on that bandwagon. I think it is wrong for the MOCO to know they are having issues, but dance around them by saying the bike is not getting hurt by riding it with all these issues. Like my service manger said, He has worked for HD dealerships for 20+ years and this is the first year he has to keep his mouth shut to customers about all the issues. I personally feel that if the MOCO wants to extend the warranty for longer period of time free of charge, remember they say it is not hurting the bike, it could be a remedy that some of us could live with.

And again, maybe the resulting improvement from the Dyno may really help, only time will tell me. If you would like to hear the results drop me a PM, I will gladly share it with all those interested!!!

Roger

Quick Reply: Are the 07's troubled or not?