Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet thoughts and recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 PM
OlDusty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet thoughts and recomendations please

I have been off bikes for about 28 years and I’m going to start riding again soon. I need recommendations for a good quality and comfortable helmet. I prefer the ¾ I think but would not be apposed to a full face as long as it has plenty of vent, looks nice and is comfy. Any thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks again guy’s and gal’s.

Oh yea, a few things I like in some of the helmets I’ve looked at on line is, matt black, carbon fiber and vents.

Also is there a good way to figure my helmet size so I can buy on line or do they all run different. The helmets I tried on at the dealership had me fitting into a 2XL. Is my head that huge or do different brands run different sizes?

Last edited by OlDusty; 09-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am very happy with my 3/4 Arai SZ/M. Fit will depend on head shape though. Venting is good. Face shield when I use it comes a long way down. Very comfortable. Air flow across is good. Meets Schnel standards which is unusual for a 3/4. Bit expensive but is gtee for 5 years and most reviews suggest 7 years so it works out in the long run. I like white because it is cool, can be seen from a long way off (statistics show that white does improve visibility and safety and it doesn't hurt that many LEO's have white helmets

Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM
tbrown2
Cruiser

I have the Nolan 103 and like it. I would suggest you find a few of the ones you think you might like and then find shops in the area that carry them. Go try them all on and wear them in the shops for a bit to check for any pinch spots and the size is correct. Every helmet fits different so one size is not a direct equivalent to another brand. The helmet I went in to check on turned out not to fit very well on my noggin. After trying on the Nolan I ordered it and had it sent to the house. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:17 PM
oddtodd
Intermediate

Finding just the right helmet is all about fit and comfort, keep trying them on until you find the one that's fits just right. When I was looking for a modular I tried on every brand out there and the HJC fit the best, XXL, it wasn't my first choice but was the best one.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:42 PM
bikehe
Tourer

I just bought a shark evo series 2 modular with info gathered from this site, after wearing a full face for quite a few years, and are 100% happy with it. I liked the idea of being able to flip it open on hot days in traffic to allow more airflow and flip is very well balanced when opened up. Best to try before you buy and leave it on your head for a while in the shop. I was talked out of going for a mat black as the shop reckons that they dont look very good after a while as all your finger marks end up showing over the helmet and bug splats are harder to clean out and can also leave a blemish in the surface after you clean it. Its not my personal experience, but advice given to me. I ended up going for a gloss black instead.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

For 3/4 I like the Bell Custom 500(s) I have. They are sort of a retro 3/4. I have a silver flake and the stunt, son has the "soul". My wife has a Fulmer V2 in black. I find the helmets comfy once they break in. As far as sizing, I followed the brand sizing charts for the specific brand I got when I purchased at motrcycle superstore and have not had any problems. This is coming from someone that like(d) the ACC carbon fiber half helmets. Good luck in helmet shopping, it's sorta hard to find a helemt you like.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Helmet sizes are all over the place. When it's cold, I wear a HJC full face XXL. I bought a Vega 1/2 helmet and the XXL is a size too big. You have to try them on. The helmet fit depends a lot on the shape of your head.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 PM
MarineBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Z1R Jimmy Retro 3/4 that I am very happy with. It is light, and doesn't pinch my round head. I found their sizes to be smaller than most brands. I tried one on at a dealer, but they didn't have the color I wanted, so I ordered online.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

For size you have to measure your head. Its very important to know what exact size you need Each manufacturer will size out a little different but since you have the measurement it will be a good starting point. You also need to try the helmet on; there are many different head shapes and they all fit different. A lot of manufacturers actually make several head shapes for the same model helmet.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a Shoei RF-1000 full face when touring.

I've tried 4 or 5 others, including a H-D full face, but for long multi-day trips the Shoei seemed most comfortable to me. Vents well and allows me to ride in the rain reasonably comfortably. For the full face helmets, I agree that trying them on is really the only way to know how they'll fit your head.

I use a half-helmet when commuting and riding around town.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Helmet thoughts and recomendations please