Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet thoughts and recomendations please

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
blindsquirrel
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should definitely try a few brands on to see how they fit. I bought a $200+ H-D helmet in XXL and it has never fit that great. I recently bought a Vega half shell for less than fifty bucks and it fits perfectly (size large). They really do come in all shapes and sizes, so you need to make sure whatever you choose is going to fit your melon. I've never found a helmet that's as comfortable as wearing nothing, but I've got too many adult responsibilities to take the additional risk of not wearing one...

Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Every head and every helmet is unique you have to try one and keep it on for least 15 minutes to get the feel of it but you might still be disappointed with one you buy speaking from experience.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RF1000. Worn one for years. Go to a reputable dealer and find someone there who actually knows how to fit a helmet to your grape. Realistically speaking putting on for a few minutes and tugging is not gonna do any good.

It might feel great in store but when you have it on for awhile you will find out if there are any hot spots (pressure points) that are going to make you miserable.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 AM
RayK
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the Harley Ultra Jet Carbon Kevlar 3/4 helmet. This is the lightest most comfortable 3/4 i've ever worn.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I wear mostly half helmets, but I wanted a 3/4 helmet for cross country trips to better handle anything that might come up. Hail kind of stings if you have a half helmet on. One of my buddies has an HJC IS-33, which is a 3/4 with a hidden shield. I went to a helmet shop to try one on and even the largest size, XXL was too tight. I tried on all kinds of helmets that day and found a nice modular that fit great. It is an HJC IS-MAX-BT. It's size XXXL (no bighead jokes, please). I wore it on a 900 mile ride to Kanab Utah and back and it was very comfortable.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:45 AM
abate1
Cruiser

for a 3/4 I love my HJC IS 33 has a flip up clear shield like the F/F and a inner dark shield and good venting

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Arai rx7

I have 2 RX7....ran Bells until they started manufacturing over in China...

I am a full face beliver...I seen what a half helmet can do if you kiss the payvment and live.

The Arai can be "molded" to your head.. Cheek and Head Pads removable and go from 5mm - 45mm in thickness....

http://www.araiamericas.com/default....moto/corsair-v

Arai alone was the first helmet company to have the confidence in its product to offer a full 5-Year Limited Warranty 15 years ago! Only recently have a couple others extended their warranties past one year. If a manufacturer doesn't trust its helmets for more than one year, why should you?

Old 09-21-2010, 03:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had three Shoei RJ's (two RJ-Air and now the RJ-Platinum-R), and it is an excellent touring helmet. The pop-off sun shade is a conventional three-snap design, so you can add a face shield if you want when it rains. It also has excellent ventilation and the padding snaps out for cleaning. They're not cheap, but if you watch Ebay you can sometimes find deals on new ones.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Good luck on finding helmet you like. Try to support forum vendors, but take some advice and do not deal with milwaukeeleatheroutlet.com. Lousy customer service, no response to website comments, email, or phone calls. Item still not shipped after 10 days and paid for 3 day shipping.

Quick Reply: Helmet thoughts and recomendations please